Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Stud tourny hand

On Friday I won a $3 hold em tourny at Stars and that also qualified me for their weekly round 2 tourny. I don't normaly play stud but I thught I give it a try just for some practice.

Over 500 started(not all showed up) I have managed to make it to the the final 22. I'm in 15th in chips and only top 8 get paid but really need to get to the top 3. When I get into this hand:

Player 1- I just got moved to his table and have no read. 12th in chips.
Player 2- fish that will call to the river with any one pair but getting lucky and is the chip leader.

Player 1: xx 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Player 2: xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] )K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Cards folded by other players: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] brings in with a full bet; Player 1 riases; Player 2 calls; I raise; 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] folds; Players 1 and 2 call.

4th street

Player 1: xx 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 2: xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] )K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets; both call

5th street:

Player 1: xx 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 2: xx 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] )K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Player 2 bets

I still have enough chips to try to make a come back but the pot is getting huge and I figure I have 2 choices; be willing to go all in with this hand or fold. What was the right call?
Old 05-31-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Stud tourny hand

Seeing the dead 9s makes me want to push it in. I'm guessing two small pair, especially with your read on the guy.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:08 PM

There is no way you can fold. He may have case 9 but he could just as easily have started with a buried pair, a straight or a flush draw. You are committed to your hand at this point and even if you knew for a fact that he had the trips you would be close to a call anyway based on the size of the pot and your chance to fill up.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:26 PM

Well I did raise only to be reraised by player 1, I capped and was all in on 6th street.

Player 2 only had pocket 4s and I had him beat but
Player 1 had pocket Jacks hand hit trips and I busted out 21st.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:07 PM

I stink at tournaments, but I think you have a raise here. I don't fear trips as much as usual, because there was a Nine out on third street. Would this guy call three bets cold with a split pair of Nines with one gone? I have played with some brutally awful players in my day, but I think that most of them let that one go. If he does have trips, you have four outs to make an essentially unbeatable hand. You should be winning most of the time here, though. I wouldn't mind getting the other guy out, either. Winning this pot also gives you a better chance at a top prize.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't have capped.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't have capped.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point I was pot committed. I'll be all in by the end of the hand even just calling one raise on each street. So I raised for the 1% chance he was bluffing and would fold.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:41 AM

Well you can't fold in this spot.. so you are going all-in I guess..

I assume you are posting this cause he actually had the case 9? Someone once told me

"Chit Happens"

Later,
CJ