Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Moral Question II

[ QUOTE ]
Um. No.

I don't get it, what's the point?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the point is that killing the mother can be argued to be best for the greater good of all
Old 05-05-2005, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the point is that killing the mother can be argued to be best for the greater good of all

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that strict EV arguments, as are often posited on this board for "moral" arguments, are not the way to go with such analyses.

fim
Old 05-05-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that strict EV arguments, as are often posited on this board for "moral" arguments, are not the way to go with such analyses.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If we define the value of a human life to be infinite (or close), all sklansk-ological arguments go out the window.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um. No.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

well i think they are, i don't see any other way to go about it, but that's just my opinion
Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<insert shallow insult or pithy comment here>
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-05-2005, 02:47 PM

If you said yes to either aborting the baby or killing the mother I can think of a great further application of the theory of preemptive capital punishment. Crime is commited by humans, all races and socio-ecomonic classes, so there is a small chance of anyone committing a major crime sometime later in life. Since this is true lets kill all humans which will prevent all further murder, rape, fraud and theft. As a side bonus there will be less traffic, pollution, and property values will become reasonable. : )

PS. Kind of a cute reply to someone with the name Fumbulwinter. See you on the Bifrost bridge during Ragnarok.

PSS. Kill them all and let GOD sort them out. -4th Crusade (the one that only killed Christians)
Old 05-05-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PSS. Kill them all and let GOD sort them out. -4th Crusade (the one that only killed Christians)

[/ QUOTE ]

Twas' used as the basic plot in Constantine too...
Old 05-05-2005, 09:57 PM

What if instead of growing up to be a serial killer the baby is wisked away to another planet where he is worshiped as the second coming of their demideity Quadsamungus which spurs hyper technological advances by the Suckouturians who use their newfound knowledge to defend themselves from the viscious Blindstealarians while at the same time waging their own war of agression against the WeakTightThighMasters? Are you sure you want to let all THAT happen?

PairTheBoard
Old 05-06-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you said yes to either aborting the baby or killing the mother I can think of a great further application of the theory of preemptive capital punishment. Crime is commited by humans, all races and socio-ecomonic classes, so there is a small chance of anyone committing a major crime sometime later in life. Since this is true lets kill all humans which will prevent all further murder, rape, fraud and theft. As a side bonus there will be less traffic, pollution, and property values will become reasonable. : )

PS. Kind of a cute reply to someone with the name Fumbulwinter. See you on the Bifrost bridge during Ragnarok.

[/ QUOTE ]

your suggestion is not best for the greater good

overall -EV
Old 05-06-2005, 05:22 PM

brutal serial killers need to kill 6 or more btw, just as a nitpick.