Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Mouse in apartment, help??

The greatest food to get them out and into the trap to snap their neck is ....... peanut butter. I had two in my house once and put two traps out with peanut butter. Within 1 minute.. snap!!! two more minutes .... snap!!! they must have been hungry.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 AM

Since cats and traps have already been suggested, here's a method I've used successfully. Get a spoon, some peanut butter, and a large shoe. Put the pb on the spoon and place it about 6 inches from what you think the mouse is under. Stand very still over the spoon with the shoe poised in spider-killing position. Mice are very curious and not too bright...just don't move. When it comes to get the peanut butter, WHAP!! The mouse will bounce about a foot in the air and scare the hell out of you, but scream like a little girl and hit it again. And again. Put dead mouse in plastic bag and dispose of, then clean up the peanut butter that is by now spattered around the room. Go get a shot of whiskey to get rid of your heebie jeebies. Works every time!!
Old 11-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Rabies isn't your only concern. Deer mice carry the Hanta virus.

Do a google search.

Basically, you don't want to come into much contact with their droppings. If you see some, DON'T vacuum them up.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:58 AM

Default TRIP REPORT: I hate meeses to pieces!

I moved into a new house towards the end of September. I began to notice droppings and other signs of rodent inhabitation in the garage. The hole that the mouse (or mice) lived in was directly opposite my daughter's bedroom. Enter the moral dilemma.

In my daughter's room, she has a hamster (Mousey). I was having problems justifying killing one member of the rodent family while feeding another. So I decided to get a humane trap. It was a simple plastic box that was see-through that had a door that was light enough for a mouse to push in, but couldn't be pushed backwards.

I baited in with a ball of peanut butter covered in birdseed that we have for "Mousey." Within 5 minutes of setting the trap in the garage I had captured a mouse. I took it to the construction site next door and emptied the trap into a trash dumpster.

I got a mouse the next day too, and the next, and the next, and the next.

I began to suspect that I was dealing with a fellow willing to exchange a few minutes in a plastic box and a trip to the dumpster in exchange for a ball of peanut butter covered in bird seed.

Moral dilemma ignored, it was time to kill.

I bought a 4-pack of those old-school spring-loaded traps at Wal-Mart for $2.19, returned home, baited two with peanut butter, and waited. The next morning I went into the garage to find that the peanut butter had been picked clean off the traps, but neither had sprung. I re-baited (not the 'bate that I am best at) and found the same result the following morning and the next. By Wednesday, I was thoroughly pissed and decided to not feed the mouse that night.

Thursday afternoon, I went into the garage to find that both traps had sprung and I had two very dead mice. Evidentally, I had programmed their tiny rodent brains to eat a peanut butter treat every night, and when their snack was unavailable they thoroughly searched the trap and got whacked. Victory was mine!

I put them in the rollout garbage can in my garage and wheeled it out to the curb for the Thursday pickup (the construction dumper is gone). Problem was that I had been too late, and so I had rotting mouse carcass in my garage. By Monday the smell was hideous, so I wheeled the can out of the garage and placed it by the side of the house.

The following Morning I had a notice on my door from the home owner's association informing me that leaving my garbage out of the garage was a violation of the neighborhood code (never mind the fact that the can was parked right next to the Port-O-John for the construction site next door).

I wheeled the dumpster around to the front yard where it rested until Wednesday evening when I moved it to the curb (I wasn't taking any chances).

In conclusion, I hate mices.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Here's your real problem: where there is one mouse, there are undoubtedly more. In your walls, under your floorboards, in your ceiling. Like, hundreds. Crawling all over you while you sleep. Until you address the various access points that mouse nation has into your apartment, you'll never be safe.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of other canines besides dogs. Wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it back, the canidae family includes jackals, foxes, coyotes, wolves, etc. I was wrong.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if BOTW's Dorito trap fails, I took a few minutes to Paint a different, albeit slightly more complicated, setup

the lettered areas are pertinent action points. with any luck you can follow the diagram and have the necessary materials

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only clear answer.

HHAHAHAHAH
Old 11-13-2005, 05:25 PM

Default UPDATE

Roomie and I finally gave up and went to sleep around 9:45amET. Had towels under door to room so pretty sure it felt safe. Woke up 4pm eastern time, no idea where mouse is now, roomie says he heard it running through our vents last night. Apparentlyt his mouse (or others like it) have also been seen in few other peoples' places right around us.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:29 PM

If you saw one mouse; most likely there are several in the apartment. Your options are traps, poison or a cat.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: UPDATE

Dude, just leave some traps out.