Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Sweating High stakes games.

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes feel like maybe I'm missing out on something -- that I could learn something by playing less and watching more, but I don't know...

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned how to be a good SNG player just by watching a good player play. I think it has a lot to do with what type of learner you are- some people just pick up well by watching someone else.

I watch the big games just to gawk at the pot sizes [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I watch the big games just to gawk at the pot sizes [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why I watch them. On UB The 300/600 heads up games are crazy, average pots are over 3000, then you have 7000 pots. The 50/100 NL Hold'em game has some crazy action too. I saw a guy win 20000 in less than a hour, in that same time I had won $20 playing .25/.50, lol.

I've never watched one of these games with the thought of it helping my game, because I don't see it being possible when you only see the person's cards once in a blue, and when you do you only see 1 player's and not the other's. Then there are so many other factors like when somebody makes a big call and is right, and your left thinking how can he call with that? But he may play with this person 3 times a week and remembers a similar situation where he played the same way and had nothing, or knows he wouldn't play a better hand the way he did. I think just by watching and not knowing the other person's cards it's impossible to improve your game, so I just watch for the entertainment value of thousands of dollars being passed around in each pot.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:21 PM

I enjoy watching them, for the pot sizes, and to improve my poker play. I watch them mainly to improve my hand reading ability. Ill pick one guy, put him on a range of hands preflop, then make a smaller range on the flop, the turn, the river, etc. (assuming he goes all the way) Ill also look at the hand histories. Although isnt the most enjoyable way to some people, it will improve you.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think just by watching and not knowing the other person's cards it's impossible to improve your game,

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have specified: I was watching someone play online...as in, sitting next to him. Woops.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fall asleep watching the party 100-200 game... Is that unusual?

[/ QUOTE ]I do it, too.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 AM

I love watching the degenerates buy in for $1000 into 50/100NL game and go broke.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:38 AM

No...... I do the same thing.....

I'm a degenerate......... fanatic.....