Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Baseball HOF Ballot...Anybody Getting In This Year???

[ QUOTE ]
THIS WOULD BE MY BALLOT
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Bert Blyleven
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Lee Smith

CLOSE, BUT NO VOTE FROM ME
I COULD BE CONVINCED ON SOME
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Andre Dawson
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Dwight Gooden
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Rich Gossage
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Orel Hershiser
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Jack Morris
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Jim Rice
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Bruce Sutter

[/ QUOTE ]

Orel Hershiser is another guy who would have made it were it not for injury. He was the most dominant pitcher for much of the 80's, but then blew out his arm. When he came back he was still a serviceable pitcher, but no HOF'er. His record of 50+ scoreless innings is absolutely amazing...it might never be broken.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

OREL HERSHISER ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Morris wasn't so great. His WS performance was badass, but that alone doesn't make him a HOFer.

My thought is, if you can remove one game from a player's resume and make him look less than HOF-worthy, then he shouldn't get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of his 254 career wins do you want to take away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wins don't do a whole lot for me. They're SO team-dependent. I'd rather look at other numbers.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

According to baseballreference.com adjusted era, Koufax is era is only .24 better.
I never said Gooden was better or equal to Koufax, however I said that they were similar in the sense that for short periods of time they were pheneomal, but they never had extended greatness.
Also the argument since he is a cokehead it was fault his career was cut short, therefore he shouldn't make the HOF is ridiculous, and it is the baseball hall of fame, not the people of hall of fame.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Orel Hershiser is another guy who would have made it were it not for injury. He was the most dominant pitcher for much of the 80's, but then blew out his arm. When he came back he was still a serviceable pitcher, but no HOF'er. His record of 50+ scoreless innings is absolutely amazing...it might never be broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big Hershiser fan, but I'd have to disagree with you here. He had some good seasons, then one of the best ever in '88. I wouldn't say is was "the most dominant pitcher for much of the 80s" when he didn't really get started until 1984. He had a stellar yearin '85, mediocre years in '86 and '87. Then the awesome year in '88.

Though I'd like to see him in the hall, I don't think he gets in just because of the '88 and '85 seasons.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a big Hershiser fan, but I'd have to disagree with you here. He had some good seasons, then one of the best ever in '88. I wouldn't say is was "the most dominant pitcher for much of the 80s" when he didn't really get started until 1984. He had a stellar yearin '85, mediocre years in '86 and '87. Then the awesome year in '88.

Though I'd like to see him in the hall, I don't think he gets in just because of the '88 and '85 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. I looked over his stats in the 80's and he really only had two phenomenal years. I remembered him being much better for some reason...probably because he was one of my favorite players growing up.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also the argument since he is a cokehead it was fault his career was cut short, therefore he shouldn't make the HOF is ridiculous, and it is the baseball hall of fame, not the people of hall of fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not passing judgement on whether he should or shouldn't make the HOF...I'm just guessing that the fact that he was a cokehead won't do him any favours with voters. His HOF credentials are marginal at best, and the cocaine use might be the thing that tilts a certain number of voters not to vote for him.

I'm curious...do you think that Rafael Palmeiro will make the HOF? I realize that steroids and cocaine are different kettles of fish, but do you think that he should/will be kept out of the HOF for using steroids?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Tommy John, when is Dr. Frank Jobe going to get in the Hall? I can't think of one single off the field "incident" that has impacted baseball more than the ligament transplant surgery that Jobe first performed on John. He belongs in the Hall of Fame as a contributor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Holla
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

I actually think that Due to all of the roids that have happened in recent years, that Dale Murphy might have a solid chance at getting in as he had good stats. I do agree that gossage and sutter deserve to be in.

We could very well have another year in which noone gets in through the writers, and we get only vets comitee HoF members.

I do think that Belle does deserve to be in, but his attitude and longevity are problems against him
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Default why blyleven?

okay, seriously, why does he deserve to be in the hall. He is a lesser Don Sutton, and sutton only got in due to his 300 wins, which blyleven is 13 short of.

JoA, I know you trotted out the adjusted stats that that guy did, but I look at the raw stats and go by what I remember of Blyleven, and quite frankly, I don't remember him as a dominant pitcher. In fact, he was far from that. Blyleven is a very good pitcher, but is not one of the greats, therefore he doesn't deserve to be in the hall. He was never dominant and hung on for a long time.

Maybe I can be convinced as to his canidacy, but, I really need to be convinced. Trot out the stats that he actually had, and those that remember his pitching, please tell me how my opinion is wrong. I dunno, I just don't see any HoF worthy players on this list outside of Gossage and Sutter, and they are slim picks to be honest. If belle had been dominant for more years and hadn't been such a prick, I'm pretty sure he'd be in, but he won't, and he was much more dominant then blyleven was(yes I know that they play different positions, but teams were afraid of Belle, they weren't afraid of Blyleven)