Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Book Advice

Here are the books I got so far:
Small Stakes Hold'em; Internet Texas hold'em

Books coming in the mail:
Winning Low Limit Hold'em; Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players; Theory of Poker

I need a NL tournament book but I need advice on which one:
Harrington on Hold'em vs Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

Also, is this book worth getting: Middle Limit Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone

Any suggestions are very appreciated.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Book Advice

I dont play no limit so I will let someone else comment on that the ciaffone book is deffinitely worth a read. Also if youve already read(and understood) SSHE than I think you will fine WLLHE to be a waste of your time.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:42 AM

Unless your trying to build a really extensive poker library (which is fine if thats what your trying to do), I wouldn't worry about getting so many books. Rather, for Limit, I would focus on SSH, and for NL tournaments get HoH and and sklansky's book.

Other than these books, I really think your time would be best spent playing and posting.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:16 AM

Both HoH and TPFAP are good books, but I'd definatly go with HoH if you are focuses on NL tournaments.

I havn't read Middle Limit Holdem myself, however, I have heard more good than bad about the book.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:54 AM

From what I understand (and I could be really off base)Sklansky's and Harrington's books are for tournaments and Ciaffone's is more for cash/ring games.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:34 AM

scratch what I said about Ciaffone's book. I didn't take the time to see that you were talking about a limit book. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM

The reason I'm asking which books to get, is that I can get some of them for free through some affiliates. And I just needed some advice on which ones.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:25 PM

New poster - long time observer who has read several poker books and own a few. The best NL Tourny book IMO is HOH, hands down. Well written, logical progression and many, many good, thoughtful, been there - played it wrong examples. Highly recommended.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:48 PM

TPFAP can safely be left until very late in your library building. Or you could borrow it from a friend and read it. You won't need it for standard reference or anything.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 AM

WLLHE by Lee Jones isn't the most "advanced" book since it teaches a weak tight style, it's probably the most easily readable and accessible by a novice player. SSHE by Ed Miller et. al. is a better work, but a longer read and more strategically complex.

However, SSHE is not a beginner's book...I believe it assumes that the player is not a complete beginner to poker (look at Fundamentals of Poker by Malmuth and Loomis) but it is still somewhat accessible to the relative novice. Someone that fits under the latter category will most likely find rereads of trouble sections.

So, I'd disagree with the statement that WLLHE is a waste of time. While learning a weak tight style is not great poker, it's a reasonable beginning style and good starting point. Playing weak tight in loose low limit games will save a novice money while giving them experience.

Regards,
Wally