Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: A 99 hand

sean: I really wouldn't get into that situation. Raising this flop is the worst of the 3 options.

If I had misclicked and I didn't have the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I would probably follow up with a desperation bet/fold, checking behind the river. Just because villian does have QT/QJ/TJ here sometimes.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:07 PM

Id like to know whether ppl call or fold the flop, which they prefer. I think really thats the most intresting streets as the later streets almost play themselves.

As played turn is fine (if u are calling the flop, it makes no sense folding to a bet on this turn), river is a bet imo. If he has a spade hes almost always following through and u will be called by a K or A here. If you did decide to raise the flop, check the turn, call or bet the river.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:11 PM

I would raise the flop, to charge flush draws / gutshots + overs to your 99.

@ OP. I would check the turn behind in this situation and not bet it if I had raised the flop.

True
Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM

Here's the thing. In an optimsitc scenario if he has a flush draw, he has 7s8s which you are 70/30 to win. But say he has Q5s this flop is a coinflip. If u give him something like JTs or QJs he's a 2-1 favorite. If all he has is a gutshot (no flush draw), its a COINFLIP.

You are not really charging anything (as most of the time u are putting in the bet as a marginal favorite/coinflip or a dog, and if he's aggressive he's libal to bump it up a notch and 3bet (this does happen, but not horribly often), and really if u get 3bet on this flop u have no idea where u are at). He could have an A, a K, or just a gutshot w/ a draw or just a draw. He could force you into making an incorrect fold. You also have no folding equity on the flop, except for a bluff and why stop that.

I think if anywhere, the flop is the last place u want to put in a raise. If you really want to raise, plan to put it in on the turn. Also, say you are going to the river in this hand, you call the flop, the spade comes on the turn...you raise after calling the flop bet, u get 3bet, you are almost always beat and can fold as your flush is unlikely to give u the winning hand. All in all though, call flop and call turn is good imo, unless your turn raise on the flush card will get him to fold a better hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:00 PM

I need to reiterate this.

On this flop, it is very clear that Fold is better than Call is better than Raise.

We are way behind when we're behind, and we are marginally ahead when we're ahead. He's could not possibly be screwing around here more than 50% of the time, and this is a very small pot. Easy, Peasy, Fold.

The only reason to get involved on this flop is for metagame reasons; if the guy has been donkbetting alot or if you've been folding to donkbets alot.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Easy flop fold for me, I can't believe people want to continue.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have raised this flop, you will then often get to showdown cheaply and may not have to put any money in. You have a lot of fold equity by raising this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a great argument for folding. I can even see an argument even for calling. But I can see no argument for raising this flop. Its spewing chips.

PS: JoshuaD said it perfectly already. Listen to the man, he is right.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]