Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Defending in BB

i've just started up online again, i'm playing 5/10 on party. I was wondering how often people defend from the bb, especially in this game. I find myself calling with any even remotely reasonable hand, and I'm not sure if thats right. J7o, 63s, basically anything. I feel like I can outplay these guys postflop, so I splash around a lot. Especially when headsup, i play almost anything better than J2o. How bad is this. Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Defending in BB

I think it's very bad. The main problem with most poor players that play online is that they fold too seldom.

Weak hands like J2 are not going to hit the best hand very often and you need to have the best hand to win in most of these games.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Weak hands like J2 are not going to hit the best hand very often and you need to have the best hand to win in most of these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consistently defending w/ J2o seems like spewing to me. But I'm no blind defending expert...
Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 PM

Just give up any marginal hands and move on. In a limit game, you're in no danger of getting blinded out. Think of what benefit calling with J-2 or whatever is here.

A flop that includes a J is murderous because of your kicker. A flop with a deuce really doesn't help either. You basically have to flop trips or better to win this hand.

I think about it this way - If I had called the BB and someone in front of me raised, would I have played this hand to start with and would I call a raise with it? More often than not, the answer is no.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 PM

Defending a big blind should not be a huge concern of yours. If you feel like a good player post flop, this could be a huge leak in your game as you are pitting yourself against hands that are worth raising every BB. It simply is not worth it for you, you will get away with it sometimes, but in the long run it is going to be hard to push people off their raised hands. With that being said, it also depends on the position and frequency of the raiser in question. If the raise comes constantly from the button and they consistenly show down marginal hands, then it may be in your interest. You should be playing at a limit where your bankroll can afford to fold the majority of the BB that get raised.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:26 PM

the thing is that I don't feel like i need to hit trips to win. I think I can figure out pretty easily whether i'm ahead. The party 5/10 players are pretty unimaginative and it seems like they pretty much always tell you their hands on the flop. Thats why I feel like I can splash around w/ weaker hands
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've just started up online again, i'm playing 5/10 on party. I was wondering how often people defend from the bb, especially in this game. I find myself calling with any even remotely reasonable hand, and I'm not sure if thats right. J7o, 63s, basically anything. I feel like I can outplay these guys postflop, so I splash around a lot. Especially when headsup, i play almost anything better than J2o. How bad is this. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's so bad that I consider it to be suicide. I don't care how good I am post flop compared to my competition. Since I have several poker books and none of them have a section on "splashing around chips in then big blind when you're better than your competition post-flop" I consider my position on this topic to be solid.