Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Looking for reassurance...late MTT elimination hand

Just need to make sure this is standard
Hero has t34000 in chips, big blind is t8000
Hero is 1 2 off the button w/ Ks5s
Folds around to hero, hero pushes...
Every time i get eliminated by something like this i wonder if its the right play...my thinking was this...i had less than 4 big blinds left so a push before my next bb was in order, and I wanted to have as much folding equity as possible...is a push here good, ok, or horrible? What about a push with the same chip count and blinds on the button with just 2 rags? THanks for the help
Old 08-09-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Looking for reassurance...late MTT elimination hand

This type of play is simply a math problem. You should study some basic ICM here. Essentially, just figure out what range of hands your opponents are likely to call you. Then figure out what your equity is against that range. Then just calculate the different possibilties and figure out the overall chip expection. The calling ranges offcourse depends on their tightness, and stack sizes, stage of tournament etc. You need to post the relevant stack sizes to allow better analysis here.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:13 AM

The button and 1 off the button were both under 30k, the sb had about 45k, and the BB was a big stack with about 80k
Old 08-09-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The button and 1 off the button were both under 30k, the sb had about 45k, and the BB was a big stack with about 80k

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the big blind (big stack) has only 10bb, so he can't call with impunity. I'd feel much better in the CO, and especially in the button. But if they are tight enough, this is +EV. I'd push against weak tight opponents who are capable of making awful folds in this spot.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:42 AM

You didn't mention if there was an ante. I am also not clear if you are CO or one before CO.

In any case, if you want reassurance you got it. I wouldn't get upset about getting busted out. That's better than getting blinded out.

When you have 4xBB, if the play is reasonably tight, you could theoretically push with any two. You pick up a lot with the blinds and antes. If you get called by one player, you are probably about even with pot odds.

This play is essentially a semmibluff. The only time it doesn't work is early in a tournament with a lot of loose passive fish who will correctly figure you don't have anything and 3 or 4 people will flat call you. In that case you need to play your best real hand or look for other moves.

In this case, you have pretty late position and a good hand to push. You have a high card and the king is less likely to be dominated than an ace. You are also suited.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:13 AM

This is an easy push, unless you are one of the '2 live cards' fanatics who would rather have 72o here.