Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 PM

Default did i misplay this AA too?

Villian hates me b/c I raise so often p/f. I can tell that he's getting frustrated.

Hero~130
Villian~70

X limps, Hero on the button raises to 5, Villian calls in the bb, X calls.

Flop: 5 6 A rainbow

Villian checks, X bets 1, Hero calls, Villian calls.

Turn: 8

Villian checks, X checks, hero bets 15, Villian pushes, X folds, Hero calls.

River: Y

Villian wins the pot with 74o.

How many of you get away from this one? I assume that most of you would fold the turn?

p.s- i almost never slow play, but this flop seemed harmless.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: did i misplay this AA too?

You didnt misplay turn. On flop you should always bet/raise when an A flops after showing pf aggression, thats really important in 6max for metagame.

If villian was desperate enough to call with that pf, he wasnt going anywhere for a flop bet. Dont worry about it, and next time dont post results please.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didnt misplay turn. On flop you should always bet/raise when an A flops after showing pf aggression, thats really important in 6max for metagame.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not mix it up sometimes to be confusing?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero~130
Villian~70

X limps, Hero on the button raises to 5, Villian calls in the bb, X calls.

Flop: 5 6 A rainbow

Villian checks, X bets 1, Hero calls, Villian calls.

Turn: 8

Villian checks, X checks, hero bets 15, Villian pushes, X folds, Hero calls.

River: Y

Villian wins the pot with 74o.

How many of you get away from this one? I assume that most of you would fold the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering... (a) you had top set (b) against a villain with a relatively small stack (c) who was seemingly "getting frustrated" (d) and pushed after a flop that "seemed harmless"...how could you get away from this?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:05 PM

I must agree with RiverFenix bet the flop. That 1 dollar bet gives 15-1 odds, which is enough for anybody to take to draw out on you. Then once you have an entire 21 dollars invested, you call an all in. If you had reaised before, say to 7 dollars (killing the pot odds for the 7-4), then you would still be in a money making situation because the pot odds would be in your favor. However by allowing cheap cards to come though small preflop raises and weak calls/bets on the flop you let yourself get drawn out on.
If I was sitting at your table with this knowledge I would call any preflop raise with just about any decent hand and let you hang yourself after the flop if I hit.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must agree with RiverFenix bet the flop. That 1 dollar bet gives 15-1 odds, which is enough for anybody to take to draw out on you. Then once you have an entire 21 dollars invested, you call an all in. If you had reaised before, say to 7 dollars (killing the pot odds for the 7-4), then you would still be in a money making situation because the pot odds would be in your favor. However by allowing cheap cards to come though small preflop raises and weak calls/bets on the flop you let yourself get drawn out on.
If I was sitting at your table with this knowledge I would call any preflop raise with just about any decent hand and let you hang yourself after the flop if I hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

your thinking is results oriented.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:10 PM

explain how
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fine, i'll explain myself i guess.

1) my preflop raise isn't small; 5 dollars is my standard raise when there's a limper.
2) this isn't a question of odds, i want someone to catch something. i was hoping that any K,Q,J would hit the turn. i obviously didn't know that villian had 74o, but if he had a K,Q,J or a pocket pair for that matter, he'd certainly either lead the turn, or minraise me when i bet (which he loved to do). additionally, by mixing things up i was hoping to induce a bluff from villian. do you see why you're being results oriented?
3) i don't understand what you meant when you said, "If I was sitting at your table with this knowledge I would call any preflop raise with just about any decent hand and let you hang yourself after the flop if I hit." it's not like i go "to the felt" (in quotes b/c i hate that expression) with every big hand i get. i make big laydowns, i just don't post those hands.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 PM

when you flop top set with AA it is hard to make a lot of money unless the case ace hit vs AK or someone has a smaller set, you should raise the flop and hope that one of the other two people hit it and try to stack them( especially cuz villian is fed up with ur [censored], you might be able to stack him with him holding a worse hand that AK). You shouldve raised pot so that villian would not be callign with correct odds to outdraw on you and so that a big hand would play back at you.
Noah