Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM

Default 10/20 K5s

Button is 41/21/2
BB is 59/10/1
UTG is 49/27/2

I recently took a shot at the 10/20 game and have been reviewing some hands.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls

I'm most interested in the flop play and possible river play.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: 10/20 K5s

Hey Spydog,

I let this go on the flop. Pot is pretty small, and this is a board that makes lots of 2pair hands, if you aren't already drawing slim to a better K.

On the turn it looks like UTG slowplayed 2pair or a straight, I think that makes the river an easy fold UI and raise when we hit a flush.

Surf
Old 10-25-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I let this go on the flop. Pot is pretty small, and this is a board that makes lots of 2pair hands, if you aren't already drawing slim to a better K.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they usually raising some of those 2-pair hands preflop though? I think folding might be best, but when they limp like that can't I assume TP is usually good on this flop?
Old 10-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Good point. BB is only a 10% raiser so he's not raising KJ or anything out of the blinds, so that is a concern, but the button aggressor would likely raise KJ and maybe even QT.

Still, we have to beat a better, a caller, and a raiser in a small, unraised pot with terrible reverse implied odds since when we are behind we are drawing nearly dead. It is closer than I first thought though since we can rule out a few 2pair and better 1pair hands for the button, though.

Surf
Old 10-25-2005, 04:02 PM

I think you should lead this flop instead of checking. I understand looking to C/R an LP bet, but the pot is so tiny and some very aggressive (PF) guys limped in -- a flop lead protects your hand pretty darn well and you have no idea where a bet is coming from when you check.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:12 PM

I mix checking and betting on this flop, primarily because I don't know which is better. Since you checked, I think it is a fold when it comes back two cold to you. I would also fold uinmproved on the river.

Cartman
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 PM

I fold on the flop. If you're going to take the line you did, you should have just bet the flop. But I'm only c/ring a late/button bettor here, hoping to isolate against a stealer.

I also think the call preflop is thin. In a 1/2 blind structure, youre getting roughly the right odds to flop a draw, but this needs to be discounted somewhat by the fact that: (a) you're playing the draw OOP for the rest of the hand, and (b) the BB behind you seems to be a bit LAGgy, and might well raise the field preflop. However I dont object strenuously to the preflop completion.