Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Limit Holdem tougher competition than NL tournements?

I heard Chis Ferguson and a few others say that due to the incresed fields in NL tournemnts, limit holdem tournemnts are seemingly more difficult to beat. I completly agree, but would like to see others opinions on this statement.
Limit holdem tournemnts seem to be made up of, in the most part, competent, well rounded players. This new growth of NL tourney players who play an agressive coinflip/race style, would most likey be ground out of a limit tourney by simply being outlapyed after the flop time after time. I got a chance to watch the final table this year at the WSOP 1500 Lm Holdem event,(actually missed registration for playing in the event myslef,Damn alarmclocks!) and thought it was some of the best poker I have seen in a while. Players extracting an extra bet or saving an extra bet, by breaking down a hand and anaylizing situations, instead of just pushing their stack in with 7,7 and hoping that if someone call thay are at least a coinflip.
I also played in two weekley 100 buyin limit tourneys at Foxwoods a month ago, and found the field to be allot tougher than their NL tournements ( 24th, four out of the $$$, and 4th, good cash) I understand that this is a small buyin tournement and not a great comparison to the top events, but I still think tht it supports my case that Limit holdem tourneys are made up a tougher for well rounded player, in general. Though limit eliminates allot of the strengths that make some of the top players great, such as preflop reads on lrge all in bets(john juanda), but i still think that limit presents a more diffiult challange than pounding on donkeys for the first 5 hours before actually playing competent players
Old 06-15-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Limit Holdem tougher competition than NL tournements?

I agree for the big ones. For small online ones they are fishy as hell.
Probably because, as you said, so many people play more NL than limit.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:43 PM

I would have to agree with you about the limit tourney's, i have played that one up at Foxwoods and came in 7th. I am looking to play in the 3K WSOP Limit tourney, i think my chances will be a bit better there. You would think with so many limit cash games spread that people would be good in them. I believe that a lot of people do play because of the steady pace, and minor fluctuations, where as no limit is a crap shoot.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that a lot of people do play [limit] because of the steady pace, and minor fluctuations...

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you fucking kidding?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:26 PM

right, and don't forget the following,

[ QUOTE ]
where as no limit is a crap shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:58 PM

Woah, it's like someone took the reality of Limit and No Limit, flipped it upside down, and made a post about it.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 AM

first of all I made the post and those were not my qoutes, so do not say that the poster flipped it upside down, thanks. second, you reiterated exactly what i ment. People who say that the players are extremly fishy, thats what you want, someone who is fishy and chases their draws down, and makes you money, without thses fishy players who would you beat on? But in no limit these silly fish can simply push a stack in the middle and not have to deal with the possibility of being out played, where in limit these players are beaten easilly over time.
But my main point was the level of players in each type of tourney, and I stand by my statement that these limit feilds are generally tougher, and the final 20% of the players are normally made up of strong players in comparison to the others. In no limit, due to its popularity, i see at least 30% of the feild as absolutly terrible, normally busting out early but occasionally lasting deep into these tournements. It is this large contingent of extremly weak players in the NL tourneys that make them more of a crapshoot than a limit tournemt is
Old 06-16-2005, 04:13 AM

I wasn't replying to you there buddy.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:00 PM

I don't know about the big games, but i.e. limit sitngos and limit MTT's online are extremely much fishier than NL tournaments. I think I have a winrate of appx. 50% in limit sitngos. No way I could have the same in NL.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:30 AM

You're confusing his point (not just you, sorry to use your post as an example [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). He's talking about the WSOP and other high-level tournaments, in that case pretty much any tournament that is not NL Holdem will have a tougher field, where as online (low-limit) mtt's and sng's will have tougher opponents in nl holdem than in any other form of poker (because obviously people who play these low limit tournaments started playing nl holdem and have almost 0 experience in the games you'll play them at).