Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Default continuationbet... no good?

I tend to make this play alot..
preflop is ok right? I rather raise this with only 1 limper, I would limp if there is 2 limpers to me.
Do you bet this flop?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($58.81)
Hero ($45.70)
Button ($47.45)
SB ($63.95)
BB ($67.85)
UTG ($34.13)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($5.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

Turn: ($15.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $25.75
Old 11-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: continuationbet... no good?

i like it and would have made a similar play. but what do i know?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:50 PM

Depending how often villian is giving it up on the flop. if he calls the flop-bet 60% or more I check, 40% or less I certainly bet.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:56 PM

The raise really depends on UTG limping standards, his limp calling standards, and his post flop play. It is far too simplistic to think of it as "Raise 1 limper, not 2".
Old 11-06-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depending how often villian is giving it up on the flop. if he calls the flop-bet 60% or more I check, 40% or less I certainly bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about this one..?

I think I can fold this preflop.. but it's close..?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($32.24)
BB ($78.03)
UTG ($51)
Hero ($49.75)
CO ($13.40)
Button ($25.25)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $2.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.5</font>, SB calls $4.50.

Turn: ($15) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($15) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $18
Old 11-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Don't raise KJ unless you are the first in in late position. In both hands UTG limped in, you shouldn't be raising this hand as the only hands that will call your PFR are hands that have you beat (and most likely dominated).
Old 11-06-2005, 06:26 PM

There's kind of an art to continuation betting which takes a while to learn. I think your bet is fine. Preflop is standard.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Continuation bets can be a real chip bleed, especially against people who like to call. How often are you raising and betting the flop? If you're doing it often the opponents are giving you less credit for a real hand and are going to call with a wider margin.

Also I think it's fine to raise with KJ late vs a early limper at these levels... though it depends on who's limping. A lot of people are limping with [censored] like suited Kings or Aces in early position.

Personally I love to punish early position limpers when I'm in late position with a raise, especially since I don't mind laying a hand down even if I hit the flop if I think I'm beat.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't raise KJ unless you are the first in in late position. In both hands UTG limped in, you shouldn't be raising this hand as the only hands that will call your PFR are hands that have you beat (and most likely dominated).

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, I don't think this is necessarily true unless villains like to limp w/ AJ,KQ,AK...and there are plenty of donks that call raises with hands worse than KJ anyway. The point I don't think is so much to raise with the best hand PF, but more so to utilize position postflop. If I am playing on a tight table, I will frequently raise with any 2 on the button if no one is putting up a fight. I readjust when they start playing back at me.

I don't mind raising this in the cutoff to steal the button or on the button, but these decisions are contingent on a host of factors like if you are playing with calling stations or in a rock garden, your table image, and how much resistance you normally face when you make continuation bets.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Super weak-tight advice. With position, KJs is an excellent hand to raise limpers with. People don't limp with good ahnds in 6 max.