Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Busting your friends (duplicate from Poker theory forum)?

[ QUOTE ]
noho as in northampton?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I went to the williston northampton boading school for hs, we had plenty of games there as well as northampton public school included. Nothing big though (think .5/1 nl)

thought i mentioned this to you at ts a while back because I know you're from amherst, and im familiar with a bunch of kids there. meh.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:03 AM

I think it's unethical to play differently against someone at the table because he is your friend. In the instance stated, it wasn't too big a deal, but it could have been if the other caller came along for the ride.

Bust him, you could decide what to do later, ie. give it him back if you feel bad about taking your friend's money, loan him to buy back in, whatever. But I think at the table you should play your A game against every player and not make concessions for friends.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Funny story, a couple months ago I played a $60 buyin tourney at the Sahara with my two friends. We all ended up at the same table. I caught incredible cards the whole tourney (among other hands, made quads twice within 4 hands early on, taking a player out each time). With 13 players left, my friends were also still in it, but just barely. 11 make the final table and are in the money. I remember saying something to my two friends like, "Come on, guys. Hang on, you're almost there." This prompted a response by a player to the effect that he did not know nor approve of the fact that the three of us knew each other. The guy even half jokingly called over to the tourney director to ask if he knew about this.
Of course, on the next hand, under the gun my first friend goes all in, and then my other friend goes all in. I look down at the button to see a couple red aces.
Needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable ride back to the hotel, but just as someone else recommended, I treated them to booze and lapdances later on, so it was all good.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM

i try as hard as possible to bust my friends.

if i succeed, then ill rib them about it afterwards during dinner and drinks, which are on me.

now as far as paying for their lap dances, well, it had better have been a big pot.