Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM

Default Flush Draw on the Bubble... is there a \"correct\" play?

$109 Multi, 450 entrants, 59 left (top 50 get paid)

Blinds 150/300

I am in MP2 with 9200 chips (tourney average ~6500, 2nd in chips at the table)

I've only been at the table about 4 orbits, in which time I've stolen the blinds maybe 3 times and busted a short stack with KK.

Action folded to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I raise to 800 (typical raise amount, although I've varied slightly)

Villian in MP3 cold calls my raise, he has 8500 before the hand. Blinds fold.

Villian has just been moved to the table and has played a couple hands with no showdowns (won a small pot, folded another one on the flop)

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet out 800 into the 2050 pot to gather information or hopefully take down the pot right there.

Villian quickly raises to 2000.

Hero...?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Flush Draw on the Bubble... is there a \"correct\" play?

He has a pair of kings and puts you on a flush draw. You can push with your 12 outs, or you could play conservative and fold. I think for sure he's holding onto his TP.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$109 Multi, 450 entrants, 59 left (top 50 get paid)

Blinds 150/300

I am in MP2 with 9200 chips (tourney average ~6500, 2nd in chips at the table)

I've only been at the table about 4 orbits, in which time I've stolen the blinds maybe 3 times and busted a short stack with KK.

Action folded to me with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I raise to 800 (typical raise amount, although I've varied slightly)

Villian in MP3 cold calls my raise, he has 8500 before the hand. Blinds fold.

Villian has just been moved to the table and has played a couple hands with no showdowns (won a small pot, folded another one on the flop)

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet out 800 into the 2050 pot to gather information or hopefully take down the pot right there.

Villian quickly raises to 2000.

Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you bet 800 to gather information. So what information did you get???

I do not like to underbet the pot unless I'm laying a trap because to many players it smells like missed overcards. So it makes it likely for them to pop me back, but not to pop me back a big enough amount for me to put them on a hand (getting information). So to me betting so little on the flop= no information. I just wasted 800 chips. If you had bet the pot and he popped you back then you can put him on a hand.

I'm an accumulator and I wouldn't mind getting all my chips in with the nut flush draw. The fact that it's the bubble makes it even more likely that he will not call an all in with at least TPGK. If you figure that your 700 chips left if you lose will allow you to sneak into the money, then I push. You have a great opportunity to accumulate a big stack.

I also feel that if you fold in order to keep stealing that to fold here damages your table image so much that your steals will be much less effective.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said you bet 800 to gather information. So what information did you get???

[/ QUOTE ]
The information I got was that he did in fact have a hand (I put him on AK or KQ). I decided I had 9 outs (and possibly 12 outs) to a superior hand...

Given this read, what then should Hero do?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 PM

Your getting 4-1 with implied odds to bust him. I cant see how you fold here, he made a mistake and didn't raise enough take advantage of it.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:09 PM

I would bet at least 1k on the flop. I generally like to bet slightly more on the flop than I raised preflop, however this isn't a huge deal.

I would probably just move allin because there are good chances your opponent will fold. This is not mandatory of course, but with the bubble coming up, these guys might fold some pretty decent hands. If they call, maybe I get lucky and have a huge stack.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:12 PM

If you think the guy has a real hand like AK....and don't think theres any real chance he's folding to a raise, then I'd just call.

Your bet of 800 conveys a bit of weakness which makes the information gained by your opponent's raise a little less reliable in my eyes.

Anyway I'd probably gamble here and reraise.