Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Free Will (again)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why this matters? Sometimes murder is commited with free-will, we calll this premeditated murder, other times it's not, we hold the person responsible regardless

[/ QUOTE ]

That we hold the person responsible is true but does not imply that he acted freely. To act in error is the face of the question of good and evil. It is evident that to perform a murder is in error and that is why our legal system punishes/etc..

To live in "darkness" is the error and obviates our acting in freedom.

I'm trying not to let this spread out too far but if you will, coming to the concept of error as not acting in freedom, may give a start.

I believe there was a post earlier where the poster talked with James Woods who stated that when he played the villan he worked through the idea that even the most foul bird believed he was doing right. Reality is much like this as we all can only be right in our thoughts but by thinking through the "thought full" activity we come to and exercise and indeed live in freedom.

There are many clouds which obscure this activity such as hate, envy, anger,etc. Working through these impediments in clarified thinking is to act in freedom.

carlo

p.s. The concept of free will as an "emergent property" as stated in your post is certainly in keeping with the evolution of morals .