Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Now THIS is how you get knocked out of a tournament

Home tournament. We usually average about 30 or so runners each time, usually the same cast of regulars.

So, this one tournament, we're down to about 12 or so, when there's some heavy action on the turn HU, and hero is all-in.

Hero: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Board: 55xx

River comes off, BOOM, Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and the hero is one-outed into the street.

Fast forward to our next tournament.

We're at the final table this time, about 9 players remaining. I'm the villian in this hand. I have the chip lead, and everyone covered at the table. I pick up Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1 and put in a standard raise.

Same hero from the first hand goes all-in, and it's folded around to me. I call, and he flips over AA.

Dealer deals one card at a time for the flop, and the first card off is another A. Then a blank. Then the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]! Rainbow flop, so no flush possibility for me.

I still have hope though.

Turn card, BOOM, Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. One outed again. He missed his quad redraw on the river, fish, and was out.

Somehow we still get him to come to the tournaments, but I wouldn't blame him if he thought it was rigged.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Now THIS is how you get knocked out of a tournament

/me makes the joke about how hero loses to an x on the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM

I think this counts a pretty bad beat, this happened in the wsoop on stars in a £100 buy in event about 2 years ago
Hero AA
flop A45

Villian checks flop, Hero bets one third of pot, villian raises all in, hero calls,
Villian shows 66, Hero HAPPY [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Turn 6
..... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
river 6 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Still amazed by it, Hero out.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM

Limit cash game.

Hero 33
Board: 33AAA
Hero loses to Ax, capped on flop/turn.

Grrrrr.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:28 PM

Well sure, those beats do suck. But how often do you get knocked out of back to back tournaments on a one-outer? That's the sick part.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well sure, those beats do suck. But how often do you get knocked out of back to back tournaments on a one-outer? That's the sick part.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the second hand, he wasn't one-outered. Sure he was one-outered after the flop. But he was all in preflop. Why not say that he lost to running perfect since after the first card of the flop that was true? In truth, he just lost with AA to QQ all in preflop which happens all the time. It's not such a bad beat.