Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 PM

Default ($27) Follow my read?

Getting used to 8-tabling at the $27s. Approximate thoughts in bold.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t2115)
Hero (t1690)
MP1 (t3010)
MP2 (t1670)
CO (t1890)
Button (t695)
SB (t1800)
BB (t630)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t350</font>
Did he just limp-minraise me? This couldn't be more aces. Can't really fold getting these odds though. I hope i either hit a monster or totally whiff this so I can happily get away from it.
Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t775) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
son of a [censored].
UTG checks,
Crap. I still think he has aces, so I don't want to push into him, and any bet commits me.. maybe see a turn? god i dunno
Hero checks.

Turn: (t775) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1765 (All-In)</font>

Son of a [censored]. He must have aces, but can I fold this, but.. oh hell this sucks.

Bleaaaagh.

3 questions:

1) Raise preflop good? (i suspect it's ok)
2) Check flop good? (i suspect it's not)
3) Now what? (I have a huge read that he has aces, but if I'm wrong then i'm the world's biggest donkey. This is like folding KK preflop)

BLAAAAGH.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: ($27) Follow my read?

Raise pf is fine, call is not. Fold the turn given your read, if you're wrong so what? You still have over 2k chips, let it go.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Definitely smells like AA-JJ. I would actually fold preflop after the limp reraise. I don't think 4:1 pot odds alone is good enough to justify the call. You need a specific read (i.e. villain unable to get away from AA), such that you know you can double through him if you hit a special flop. The way it played out, since you didn't get the flop you needed (QQx, KJT, 3 diamonds, etc), it's an easy check-fold.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:14 PM

Following your read here means folding preflop I think. You aren't getting odds to hit a flush/straight/trips here are you?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:25 PM

Woah, it never even occured to me to fold to the minraise.

Hmmmm. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM

FWIW fen, i would have limped this.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:13 PM

1) I like the raise and the amount of the raise. I had a similar preflop hand in a live cash game recently and had the same read (AA). I called the raise but I'm thinking that going with a strong read like that and folding might have been best.

2) Ugh. I think checking there is ok, given the read you have. I wouldnt be totally opposed to betting there if you think there's any chance the guy doesnt have AA, KK or QQ.

3) Folding there is fine.