Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-26-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: How far have you driven in one shot?

The longest I ever drove was about 17 hours from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Ottawa, Ontario. It shouldn't have taken that long but I decided to drive back by going through Maine, Vermont, NY, etc... There was construction the entire way and I ended up sitting in traffic every time I passed through a small town. By the time I got to Ottawa I was halucinating.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:23 PM

I've done 18 hours straight, on my 21st birthday but without having gotten drunk the night before. Boone NC to Hawley Ma- it would have been shorter, but he last 2-3 hours i was stopping every 15 mins to piss.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've done lots of stupid stuff that should of killed at least one person I know, if not myself (I think the best example is super modified sleding: tie a snow sled to a car and ride behind it

[/ QUOTE ]
We used to do that too. I never really thought about how dangerous it was. Then again, I also doubt we obtained the speeds you did.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM

1000 miles between Worcester, MA and W. Lafayette, IN. The first time I did it was in late August (construction season) and it took 20 hours. I soon learned to leave around dinner time, drive all night, and arrive midmorning.

It was so much more tolerable solo. I drove one guy to Hartford once. Worst part of that was picking him up on the way back.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:28 PM

I played baseball with a guy from Idaho for two summers in a row. Both at the beginning and end of each summer he'd drive 27 hours straight from Boise to Waterloo or vice versa.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Atlanta GA to Farmington NM straight through...map quest says its 1600 or so miles. It lies. Shaved about 3 hours off their trip time by taking a few different roads.

Took me 25 hours. I was hopped up on cocaine, meth, and some whippets though, the whole trip.

<font color="white"> I'm kidding about the drugs. Well, not the whippets. </font>
Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

My dad and I did 29 straight. Oddly enough, it was also on my return trip from an internship in San Diego with a stop in Vegas. I drove to Vegas on my own, stayed for a couple days, and flew my dad in to make the drive back home to northern WI with me. He had recently been laid off and was looking for a job. We left on a tuesday afternoon and later that night, my mom called us on my cell to tell my dad that he had a job interview on that thursday. All I remember is we got to Denver at about 2am and decided we didn't want to get a hotel room just to sleep for like 4 hours and then leave again, so we stopped for caffeine and hit the road. It was 29 hours straight through from Vegas to my parents' house in WI. He ended up getting the job he interviewed for the next morning.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

I have driven to and from Boston to St. Louis straight through several times. I don't remember exactly, but I think it's 18-20 hours or so. I don't remember thinking it was at all dangerous, I was in college and caffeine and nicotine did the trick just fine.

I also drove straight from Washington, DC to Panama City, FL for spring break. I left around 9PM and drove all night, fueled by ephedrine. THAT I recall as being dangerous for sure.

Knowing that the above was absolutely my limit in the best of my days, I think what your friend did was definitely dangerous.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:36 PM

A buddy and I drove a U-haul with a car trailer 26 straight hours from Florida to Ohio. Going through the mountain passes at 3AM was an adventure.

My longest solo is 11 hours.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM

I drove alone for about 16 hours from Wichita to a town by Lansing, MI. When I drove back alone the next week, I was running on about 3 hours of sleep. Nothing too impressive, but it's not something I plan on doing again soon.