Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 01:25 PM

Default My first live poker experience

Hey, since I asked you guys about my first tourney and what to expect etc etc, I figured I'd let you know how it went. I qualified for the WPT open at the Bellagio but cut a deal with Full Tilt to give me 150$ because I couldn't make it. I took the cash and went to AC to play some limit. I cashed it in for a round of 2/4 at the tropicana. I've honestly been honing my poker game for 6 months, and was a bit nervous to go live.

Let me say ahead of time that this board has been truly amazing in helping me, as well as the B&M forum FAQS about table etiquitte and such. This really cut down on my anxiety. I decided to play at the tropicana because their tables are near the window and having people near me tends to loosen me up.

Well I got to be honest I sat down and felt superior right away. There was a couple to my right, like 3 frat guys wearing wrap around glasses etc etc. I'm not against the glasses or anything, but since I play online so much, and I'm so used to betting patterns for putting people on cards, they were a nonfactor. I really dogged all these guys, and also lost some chips calling bets that I didn't have the proper odds for. I try to not let myself take people less seriously but this one frat like character gets into a raising war with me preflop when I hold KdKs. I assume he's got an ace at least, and flop comes jh 10h As. I figure that I'm in trouble, but he just checks it to me and I get a King on the turn and a betting war ensues, and continues on the river. Guy turns over a pair of 5's, and goes "Figured you were bluffing the whole time", and I just kind of nodded and said, "usually I would".

However The live event turned out to be a complete success. I was up like 25% of what I walked in with, which I quickly lost at the Borgata playing craps. I thought I was going to get rocked and it turned out to be the complete opposite.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: My first live tourney experience

[ QUOTE ]
Guy turns over a pair of 5's, and goes "Figured you were bluffing the whole time", and I just kind of nodded and said, "usually I would".

[/ QUOTE ]

NH. Perfect example of how to encourage the fish to keep jumping into your boat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: My first live poker experience

I'm confused.

Bellagio, Tropicana.....Borgata?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Sorry i work screwey hours at work. I meant to say Borgata the first time. It was one of those 24+2 Full Tilt Satellites that have been running. Like only 38 people entered mine they sent the top 5 to the event. Very nice.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy turns over a pair of 5's, and goes "Figured you were bluffing the whole time", and I just kind of nodded and said, "usually I would".

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely love these types. Bluffing a low-limit game. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]