Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Lying about your hand

If I'm asked what I had, I almost always say "Jacks". I think I got that idea from someone in these forums.

It gets interesting, when my play was totally inconsistent with this holding. But -- Jacks -- that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Usually, by the third or fourth time I'm asked, the person asking figures out that I'm not going to tell them what I had in my hand, and lets it go.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 AM

Tell them you had the second nuts. It has the same effect as telling them you had the nuts, yet is somehow more believable.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe what I said sounds a little cynical. What I meant was, I am not going to believe them unless I have good reason to. In a friendly game, like the game I played at Caeser's last night, I might actually believe half the players if they told me. Nice guys that they were, loved just showing their cards. If a tight/solid player shows me his cards, I have to assume there is a underlying reason behind it. If weak/passive players show me, and I am pretty sure they are just showing me because they're cool like that.

I actually rarely lie about my hand when I tell someone. Often I just don't say anything, but if a guy next to me who I've been chatting with for a few hours asks, I most likely will tell him what I had. Between me and the 2 guys next to me, we would often tell each other our hands, and talk about it after the hand. We weren't playing together, but we weren't exactly playing against each other either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually just flip on the Foreigner belt and tell them they're a Dirty White Boy. Or that they're Hot Blooded.

(loverboy has always sucked, though.)
Old 12-30-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I say whatever hand I was representing. But I'm usually trying to represent some hand other than what I have [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 AM

i always lie 100% about my hand... i don't think anything i say at the table is true
Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM

i dont chat at the table, its -EV
Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM

Sometimes this gets tough...

I always feel like my hand is transparent to everyone at the table. When the board pairs and I have made a set on the flop and go all-in in a live game and the player to my left asks me if I want a caller ?!?!?!

Well ... I want 90% of the good hands to call but I do not have the nuts, and I do not have a lock. So he is either a very tricky player with a bigger full house who is messing with me, or he is a fool with a flush or straight or something.

What do I do? I usually compliment the player and confuse them at same time by saying " You are a good player, you will know what to do"

I rarely tell them what I have, If I am on a bluff I rarely remember what i have. I like the Good fold or good laydown line though.

The compliment and the return of the decision to them with little or no input from you seems to work. They can not figure out what you are trying to get them to do.

--
tjh
Old 12-30-2005, 02:16 AM

I say 'good fold'. Most of the time, it even is.