Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: I guess 6 max limit really does have high variance....

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't nearly enough IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good info, thanks. As I move up in levels I will probably have to do this. Currently I am playing at .5/1 6-max. I usually choose tables with pretty low avg. pots (3-5 BB) which usually means I'm up against fairly passive players and haven't had to dip into more than 50BB a couple of times. I also play purposely short sessions (wife, 2 kids, etc.). I can appreciate what your saying, when I have played live (8-12 hr sessions) I wouldn't think of sitting down with less a 50BB buy-in and another 50 ready to go.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:01 AM

i dropped 100 last night in 1000 hands. i won back around 20 in the next 400. about 1/3-1/2 was full ring though.. I would like to kill myself.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:44 AM

The adage "Don't start a fight with a drunk" comes to mind.

It seems many players follow it with regard to tangling with the maniac. I do not.

I always end up covered in blood, and today it was my own.

That's the way it goes though. At times I underestimated him, which was to my great detriment. I thought my tactics were sound based on some of his previous moves, but he was able to connect with his blows, and I was plunging back when I should have ducked.

Now I'm scraped up pretty good and feel stupid about some of the things I tried to pull, but all I can do now is reflect on what went down so I'm mentally ready for the next time.

Because he's always in that bar pushing everybody around, and I know he's willing to throw down when I walk in the door.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:49 AM

I like to think that I do not tilt too much but in truth the times I do usually cost me and do turn a 50bb seesion loss into a 75bb one. You know how it is, you are focused, playing well but just getting run over by all the chasers. You just lose on the river again to a guy who had nothing on the flop but 2 under-cards and backdoor straight which he caught to bust your aces. You do not openly tilt but you tilt all the same. The next hand you have 89s UTG and limp when you should fold. It gets raised and you have to call. On the flop you hit middle pair and end up having to call 2 more to see the turn. Once the turn misses you and you are faced with 2 more cold for the river you finally give it up. You have just spent 3 more BB that had you folded pre-flop like you should have would not have been lost. Just think how many hands like this you will end up playing trying to make a recovery for the day, then you will realise why bad days often get a lot worse before they get better.

What I try and do if I am in a cold spell and taking a lot of beats is to actually tighten up and play less hands. There is no point going to war with the table if you are not hitting anything. Also never be afraid to leave a table a long way down. I used to hate leaving a table if I was stuck for a good chunk of my buy-in even if the table had got bad. I still hate it but am getting much better at it, cause for one a new table may have great cards just waiting for you, and even if it does not you concentrate so much on the play that you soon forget about the bad table you left behind.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:53 AM

How many hands is this over? 100 BB in a day definitely happens. Sometimes it is avoidable and sometimes not. If you find it's frequent, then you might want to either scale back # of tables or work on your game a bit more.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently I am playing at .5/1 6-max. I usually choose tables with pretty low avg. pots (3-5 BB) which usually means I'm up against fairly passive players and haven't had to dip into more than 50BB a couple of times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm also playing .5/1 6-max, but I look for tables with 8 BB average pot. I've found that I almost always get 1 or 2 players with VPIP over 55%, making me a favorite at the table. Also I get more raked hands so I can clear bonuses.

I always buy in with 50 BB, and have never had to reload. (If I get down to 25 or so, I usually would get up from that table.) I play 2 or 3 tables at once. The 50 BB buyin is a principle that you should always look like the big stack at the table. People who join the table later don't know if you bought in for 50 or have won a lot this session.

-Tom
Old 12-22-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Currently I am playing at .5/1 6-max. I usually choose tables with pretty low avg. pots (3-5 BB) which usually means I'm up against fairly passive players and haven't had to dip into more than 50BB a couple of times.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm also playing .5/1 6-max, but I look for tables with 8 BB average pot. I've found that I almost always get 1 or 2 players with VPIP over 55%, making me a favorite at the table. Also I get more raked hands so I can clear bonuses.

I always buy in with 50 BB, and have never had to reload. (If I get down to 25 or so, I usually would get up from that table.) I play 2 or 3 tables at once. The 50 BB buyin is a principle that you should always look like the big stack at the table. People who join the table later don't know if you bought in for 50 or have won a lot this session.

-Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this a lot, I read this before. I tend to buy in for more when I am playing TAG and less if i am playing LAG.

True
Old 12-22-2005, 12:16 PM

yeah I've been buying in for 50 for a while now and it was working but now I'm dropping those and even more pissed. but it should work for a bit if you don't suck..
Old 12-22-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100BB downswings in one day should happen infrequently, its more likely you tilted and pissed away some chips.

Review those hands!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible... link

And you should alwyas be working on your game.

Krishan

Computer help?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also playing .5/1 6-max, but I look for tables with 8 BB average pot. I've found that I almost always get 1 or 2 players with VPIP over 55%, making me a favorite at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The only thing I have found at those bigger pot tables is that you get 1-2 players with 55+ VPIP but they are also high PFR and TA. At the 3-5 BB pot tables I may only find 1 55+ at the table but almost all others in the 40's AND PFR's in the 3-5 range and TA <1. Thus, I can steamroll them when I get a good hand and when I don't I am not losing out on much. I plan on trying higher pot tables after I feel that I can sincerely crush the smaller ones.