Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: red 88...play along with me

[ QUOTE ]
i like raising here for two reasons especially

1. you tie big cards to the pot more often when you flop your set, and often, they are drawing virtually dead

2. if the flop has overcards or is otherwise unfavorable, you can get a free card for a chance to spike the set

[/ QUOTE ]

This is perfect, especialy in the canterbury 15 where if you raise the field on the button at least 65% of the time they check to you. How often do you make a set when you get to see 4 cards an extra 65% of the time?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: the flop

i would call and see the turn unless the flop leader is the type to 3 bet a pair+draw and knock out the 2 flop callers.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury 15/30 9 handed
UTG+1 is the only decent player in the game. UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 limps, 1 fold, 2 more limpers to me on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I decided to limp. IMO it doesn't matter much either way. Of course the SB came along and the BB checked.

Flop (8 players) (8 SB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
blinds check, UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, 3 more guys call and now it's up to me, I.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough decision, i'm not convinced your equity is big enough on the flop to push with a raise and you can't effectively protect your hand. I like just a call here.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop (8 players) (8 SB): 4 5 7
blinds check, UTG bets, UTG+1 folds, 3 more guys call and now it's up to me, I.......

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely drawn out, UTG is solid so I assume he can/will 3-bet, not many to get rid of in the blinds, just call.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop (8 players) (8 SB): 4 5 7

[/ QUOTE ]

It's extremely drawn out, UTG is solid so I assume he can/will 3-bet, not many to get rid of in the blinds, just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 is solid and folded, UTG is retarded.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury 15/30 9 handed
UTG+1 is the only decent player in the game. UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 limps, 1 fold, 2 more limpers to me on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I decided to limp. IMO it doesn't matter much either way. Of course the SB came along and the BB checked.

Flop (8 players) (8 SB): 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. A raise here gives the next guy to act 7:1 on their call, and anyone who's already called 1 bet is getting 14+:1 to call behind you (read: you're not getting anyone out that has any kind of draw against you). Not to mention that we can't be sure we're best right now (though I do like our hand). I call, wait to see what the turn brings, and go from there. A raise here just bloats the pot w/o getting anyone to fold, lessening your chances of getting anyone to fold on the turn.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Then you pretty much need to raise, you can't count on him betting the turn for you.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-28-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then you pretty much need to raise, you can't count on him betting the turn for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

His hand is also too vulnerable to overcards and the MPs aren't going anywhere, still call.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:20 PM

Call.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: red 88...play along with me

With 5 limpers already, this is an easy raise for me. I'm looking to cash in if I flop a set, or at least get a free turn card if I miss.

Calling isn't bad either, but I'd be more inclined to just call here against opponents who like to jam after the flop.