Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:40 AM

Default People who fold instead of check (little content)

Don't you love it when people fold instead of checking! It makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. I think I saw it twice last night.

Would anyone do it just because they "usually get into a lot of trouble on hands like this"?

-Tom
Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: People who fold instead of check (little content)

I played in a home game once, and they invite this guy over i've never met before. He sat to my right, and was continually open folding out of turn. The flop would come, he'd look at his cards, say "ppthhh, f*ck this" and fold his hand before the first guy even got a chance to act.
He did this all night long. Easiest opponent ever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM

I've done it a couple of times out of courtesy to other players when 4-tabling. For example, I have the supreme 32o as the big blind, and it's checked to me. The flop completely misses my monster, and I have pocket rockets on some other table that I'm concentrating on. I will fold the 32o instead of checking it to let the other table finish quickly instead of waiting for me to recognize it's my turn to check/fold.

Of course, I never use the pre-action boxes, except for the "fold" button ... if I was willing to click the check/fold button, I would never fold when checked to.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 AM

That'd probably get you a quick punch to the back of the head followed by a trunk-ride to the bus station in my neighborhood game. The repeatedly playing out of turn part, not the open-folding part; we play an open-fold as a community drink.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:03 PM

I played heads up against an opponent who did it a lot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

On the other side I know a very good player who actually does it sometimes when he plays Omaha hi/lo (it annoys me when I watch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), I think it may be some kind of tilt protection for him.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM

It seems like open folding in homegames is mandatory if you are new to the game. Especially out of turn.

-aron
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, I never use the pre-action boxes, except for the "fold" button ... if I was willing to click the check/fold button, I would never fold when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some sort of religious issue? I always use the pre-action buttons when 4-tabling, for this very reason. Also, it's really irritating to have a window pop-up as you're about to act on a different table, and causing you to misclick (for instance, I once capped 33 PF from MP3 by accident...of course, the board came 33Q, K, A, and I beat AA, QQ and JT, but the point is still the same [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 05-11-2005, 12:36 PM

i especially think it's funny when it's 2 people and one folds to a check. i dunno tho, for some new players it might be smarter than sticking around and calling a bet on the turn or river when they clearly shouldn't. still...if you're that new I could just show you how to play.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 12:45 PM

I've done it from time to time,

For instance, last night I had 43o in the BB, there were 2 pr on the board after the turn so I folded, knowing it was pointless.

Sometimes its better to throw the crap away to focus on other tables while multi'ing
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 PM

Yeah, I also occasionally open fold. Like, if 4 people limp and I have 2h3h from the big blind and the flop comes 8s Js Ks I'll just open fold the hand. I don't really think I'm losing any EV, and it lets me worry about hands I actually have a chance to win.