Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Staking my uncle

Hey, folks. This is my first post in the Zoo.

My uncle has been doing the Party play money SNGs and naturally dominates them. He wants to start at the 6s and I'm sure he'll quickly be able to move to 11s then the 22s without a problem.

I'm going to transfer $100 into his account. What do you consider the normal percent taken for a staking deal? I plan on giving him a steep "blood of my blood" discount, but we both agreed a stake is a stake and I should charge him something.

On a similar note, anybody else ever stake a relative? My uncle and I are pretty close, although he is more than twenty years my senior. Needless to say, I'm really getting a kick out of this.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Staking my uncle

Dominating the play money SNGs means nothing. Is he really any good?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:28 PM

Someone who loses his connection during hand 1 and get it working after the SnG is over dominates the play money SnGs.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My uncle has been doing the Party play money SNGs and naturally dominates them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea he must be real good then....
Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 PM

Yeah, he knows how to play very well. He's also been dominatign a free money bar tournament where the competition is actually meaningful by the final table.

He also does well at home games and has had a little B+M play. As an added bonus, he has a master's degree in mathematics.

I've given him tons of links to posts on 2+2 to get past some of the counter-intuitive stuff in SNGs and I have every confidence he'll do well at the lower limits. He's even been practicing pushing towards the end of the free tournaments.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM

I don't think the 6s are leaps and bounds above the free money ones. People still push all in with A-x suited with deep stacks and low blinds. When I started playing SNGs I skipped the 6s and 11s because the competition was making me vomit too much.

Saying he dominates the free money is basically another way of saying he is familiar with Party's software, blinds and payout structure.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Your uncle has a M.S. in mathematics and he's 20 years older than you and he can't scrape together $100 to play the $6 SnGs? Are you sure you're not pulling this story out of your ass as you go?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:02 PM

i am not trying to be a smartass, rude, or any other means of being nasty. why does he need staked? a math masters degree and hes playing play money? if he is as good as you say he is, he shouldnt need staked.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dominating the play money SNGs means nothing. Is he really any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 PM

It's more a matter of him not wanting to make a deposit himself, yet. Eventually, he'll have to if he wants to withdrawl. But as for now, he'd like to test the waters without putting up his own money. I think he might also view "his" money as owned by him and his wife and his two children. Money out of the immediate nuclear household income is different than money from a poker-playing nephew in his eyes and very likely the eyes of his wife. If I give him the money from my account, it's not Party Poker showing up on his monthly statement.

Also, I can't see what benefit there would be to pulling this out of my ass. I've typed about a page worth of replies now and while I appreciate everyone's critical thinking in this situation, I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what the typical staking arrangement is like.

Thanks.