Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Overpairs on paired boards

HAND #1: UTG+1 is loose and a bit nutty.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB

-----------------------------------

HAND #2: MP2 is LAG (44/16) preflop. No notes on postflop play.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB
Old 02-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Overpairs on paired boards

Hand 1 - Against a guy who's "loose and a bit nutty", I guess this is okay. Against anyone else, a check-3bet is tough to get around.

Hand 2 - Looks fine.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM

I would seriously consider three-betting your AA in hand #2. It is unlikely that he has trips, a boat, or 79s (the possible straight makes me a little more nervous, but I still consider raising here). It also looks like he hit the T or has some PP and thinks you will call him down with A high. Other times (this is not necessarily the case here, since he cold-called PF), players cannot read boards: they hold something like 6T and think that they have two pair (mental process: "look my hand improved! I raise!!").

- Flushed
Old 02-22-2005, 04:35 PM

Hand 2: 3-bet the river

Hand 1: I think calling down is fine with Aces up. Might raise the turn, but it costs you the same as calling down, you hand is fairly safe given you ahve 2 apir (you only fear trips, a gutshot or the improbabale OESD if ahead), deprives you of 2 outs to spike an Ace if you raise and old to a 3-bet (which will happen about 5% of the time), and, depending on your opponent, you may not be able to correctly assess what to do if 3-bet.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:14 PM

I'm confused as to your hand 1 analysis. Are you you suggesting a course of action if he had AA?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Hand 1: You describe UTG as loose and a bit nutty, and yet you go into check-call mode after his flop three-bet?

No good, sir. Cap the flop.

Hand 2 looks standard.

Will
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Overpairs on paired boards (results)

It's interesting that the majority seems to be indicating that I wasn't aggressive enough. When I posted some similar hands in the HUSH forum, I made a river raise and was told it was too aggressive. (every hand is unique though...)

Hand 1: UTG+1 wins with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Hand 2: I gave serious though to 3-betting the river, but declined it. MP2 wins with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would seriously consider three-betting your AA in hand #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what they are teaching you are princeton, but if I held the trips here, I would have played them exactly like MP2... let him bluff his AK all the way or make him pay me with a big PP. It likely offers the best payoff. My guess would be that I was trapped. Besides, if he 3-bets and is capped, I think that he has to fold.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM

Trips will often raise the turn here b/c AK is so likely to call them down anyways and AK is not guaranteed to bet the river. I, personally, raise the turn here HU if I think a player will call me down with A high, unless I have specific notes.

Also, let's not forget about pocket pairs below AA.

I am not contending that three betting is definitely the way to go, however, I think this line should be considered. Post-flop play notes would help.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would seriously consider three-betting your AA in hand #2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what they are teaching you are princeton

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly beer games...and syntax [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]