Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: people that are vegetarian

I eat meat because I am am Omnivore, as are all human beings!

I do not have anything against vegitarians. If someone prefers to not eat meat that is simply their choice and that is fine.

As a matter of fact, I LOVE vegitarians. I eat them all the time!!!

Look, just do not be a vegitarian that attacks my wanting to eat meat for some stupid altruistic reasons. We are made to eat meat. It is perfectly natural and a part of what we are.

I prefer to eat what I kill myself. My family and I eat mainly Deer, Elk, Antelope and the fish that we catch. It is a very rare occasion that we are eating any other meat product when we are at home, other than the occasional Pork product or when we run out of Elk Burger and have regular beef hamburgers on the grill. I have an intimate relationship with my food. I saw it when it was alive. I shot it with either my bow or rifle. I watched it die. I gave thanks to that animal for the gift of life it gives to me and my family. I got my hands bloody with it's blood while I field dressed it. I worked to get it out of the woods (which is really not the most fun part usually). I relive this experience each and every time I pull a package of meat out of the freezer and look at the label to see which animal it was. I remember the experience and all that went into it. I LOVE animals!

Man, all this talk is making me hungry for a very rare, thick, juicy elk steak!

FIRE UP THE GRILL!!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I refuse to disrespect thousands of years of hard work by my anscestors getting to the top of the food chain by wasting it by acting like I'm on the bottom. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Oh YA!
I forgot about the buffalo/Bison in the freezer. Really really good meat!!!
Last one I shot I got with my bow.
Now that was cool!!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was [a vegetarian] for about 30 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I was always a big seafood eater, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

We really don't need the rulebook for this one, do we? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: I Became A Vegetarian For Ethical/Moral Reason

Good for you! Stick to your guns and do not eat meat for your own personal reasons. I actually can respect that even though I am a died in the wool meat eating, plant eating, leather wearing, top of the food chain predator.

Personally, I think you are wrong, but it is certainly your right to have your own opinion and to be wrong.

See, I do believe you have rights. The rights that are granted to all human beings living in a civilized society. Mother Nature, however, does not grant any such rights to the animals in our world. Have you ever watched the Discovery Channel and watched true nature in action? Animals kill other animals for food all the time. They also do not do it in a nice pretty way. It is usually violent and bloody. Nature is pretty damn rough and tough and that is why those animals have survived as long as they have.

Do think that farm raised animals live in the most plesant of conditions, no. Do I think buying meat from the grocery in nice wrapped packages is natural, no. But NONE of what most people eat is natural. It was raised or grown by someone else en mass so that people who live in huge cities have a chance for survival. These are people who wouldn't stand a chance of surviving on their own in the wild. They depend on others to grow, raise, kill and process their food.

Killng and eating animals is perfectly natural and part of what we are. If people choose not to eat meat, great. Just please do not attack my preference to kill, cook and eat those tasty little critters!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM

So if you went hunting, you would have no ethical or moral problems eating the meat?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you went hunting, you would have no ethical or moral problems eating the meat?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Please re-read my post as tried to describe the evolution of my beliefs. I believe that animals have a general right not to be hunted for food and be eaten for food. For purposes of that post I decided not to get all bogged down in rights theory. Howeverm in arriving at my beliefs I initially decidd that regardless of the ultimate question of animal rights I could not condone the intensive factory farming that occurs here and abroad.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Oh, right right. I guess that kind of got lost in the rest of your short response.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mother Nature, however, does not grant any such rights to the animals in our world.

[/ QUOTE ]

So says you (and in fairness others do as well). I would disagree, however. My initial post was not meant to get bogged down in rights theories though and was just the story of my personal experiences.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever watched the Discovery Channel and watched true nature in action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been on safari in Africa several times and have seen live lion kills. I do not know why that would change any of my beliefs as to what type of conduct humans should engae in and what standard we should be held to.

Moreover, I would posit that the lives of these prey animals in the wild, while not easy by any measure, is far better than the captive animals in today's factory farms.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also when you're vegan, you pretty much have to eat a fair amount of soy, which can make you a less manly man (depending who you ask)

[/ QUOTE ]

I DO NOT eat meat...and I hate soy so that's not true. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't eat meat beacuse I dont like it...I dont eat seafood either... I really dont eat anything that was living.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Stef [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]