FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Profesional Poker Career: 1 Month Check-In

I think that what some members here are trying to say is:

In the 70s people, it was gold mining.

In the 80s it was art collecting.

In the 90s it was day trading.

In the 00's it is kick-up online poker.

All started and ended in about the same way. Every generation has to learn their own lessons in their own way. I think getting in gear for a career in online poker is really kewl, but it is probably a good idea to keep the options open.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM

Good luck and continued success.

Discipline is the key. It's not an easy adjustment when you don't have someone telling you what to do.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:36 AM

You should check out the real world, your picture looks very similar to him. (this is not a criticism, its kinda eerie tho)
Old 02-18-2005, 07:28 AM

As a college student and PROFESSIONAL MADDEN PLAYER, aspiring poker player, I wish you luck in your endeavors. Yes I said professional Madden player, although I couldn't dream of making 100K a year playing Madden. But it's paying my bills right now, and poker will too soon.

But don't worry about the haters. They exist everywhere and hate on everyone. Just do you, stay focused, and get that degree. I will be keeping up with your story, and maybe even post my own story as well.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a college student and PROFESSIONAL MADDEN PLAYER, aspiring poker player, I wish you luck in your endeavors. Yes I said professional Madden player, although I couldn't dream of making 100K a year playing Madden. But it's paying my bills right now, and poker will too soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you please post in OOT (Other Other Topics) about this, as I am sure many others would be interested in hearing the stories of a mdeen "pro."

thanks dude
Old 02-18-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And why is it that you have to be making 100K+ to call urself a profesional. I have been assepted to lawschools for this upcomng fall, for which i will get a 3year JD

[/ QUOTE ]

lord i might not capitalize and I type so fast that sometimes the looks like teh but how are people getting into law schools spelling chit like 'assepted'. Maybe you've been hitting the magic cards a little too often.

[ QUOTE ]
A typical attorney makes 50-75k/yr in my city as an associate, and thats if you work with the better firms. I would like to see triple make fun of their status as a profesional because they aren't making more than 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the reason. None of you schmoes has made 50k a year for 5 years playing poker by 8 tabling 3/6. It's an outright lie. When i first started playing on line poker in 1999 on paradise (username hobbit, 2short) when my friends and I (jarjar, nnnngassy) would play more than one table people would think we were nuts, it just wasn't done very often.

So that means what? That 8 table 3/6'ing is at best 1 to 2 years old right? I don't even care if I'm wrong about that and the next 12 posters come here saying they've been doing it for 4 years and 50k a year doing it ***cough horschit cough***

The POINT is, when you make 50-75k as an associate lawyer, you have what is called a SALARY, this is a fixed don't need to river a flush twice an hour income that you can depend on.

And forget the salary, lawyers and other employed people get these things called benefits. You know those braces your parents put you in growing up college boys? Do yourself a little fun google and see what that costs when you pay out of pocket rather than through a dental plan. Cuz all of you 19-20 year old pros have dental plans right?

The said 'pro' in question here has....about a 15k bankroll. If he is financing a retirement fund, medical/dental/vision, taxes, mortgage/rent, groceries, car expenses (hi these break), and heaven forbid the recluse get a girlfriend, guess what out of college they want more than a six pack and a good lay for a date. Good luck bud, whatever you do don't lose.

So all of this AND sometimes no matter HOW good you are, everyone seems to stick around and catch runner runner for you. Even the very best players go through stretches where they just don't win.

It's actually quite often pointless to talk to guys that are 18-24 about life and how to get where you need or want to go. It's easy to 'cop out' and think taht because you have a couple of grand in your pocket during college you're a 'pro'.

Simply stated to me a 'pro' doesn't mean you're a good player. It means you are solvent in your entire life based on your poker winnings.

bah, triple get off his case, he's just trying to make it and has a good head on his shoulders.

life costs, because you make more money 3/6ing now than a guy does flipping a burger doesn't make you a good prospect for the future. What it shows me is a guy that doesn't really have a clue what the world is all about and would rather postpone the real world for the click click click of on line poker tables.

i've never once said that he is not a successful hobbiest, were he to drop out of school maybe i'd call him a 'pro' poker player. Being 'pro' isnt' a badge of honor, its' a label that says, this is what I do, this is all I do to provide for myself and anyone dependant on me.

Enjoy your hobby.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:45 AM

Ok I said I was done with this thread. I guess I lied.

[ QUOTE ]
Being 'pro' isnt' a badge of honor, its' a label that says, this is what I do, this is all I do to provide for myself and anyone dependant on me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reading comprehension sucks.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:05 PM

Lol, that was really funny.