Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Is it true I\'m playing against bots?

[ QUOTE ]
If you choose to belittle my question you could at least read it completely. I asked how likely it is that I'm playing against a bot OR a person with software helping him track my betting patterns, not if my example was a sign of one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it just fine. It's still ridiculous.

It's ridiculous because people are way, way better at this kind of thing than computers. Reads a person finds trivial are actually very difficult to write a program to do.

So the answer is still no.

eastbay
Old 03-28-2005, 01:14 AM

Yupz.

The bot is best used as an all-in simulator. In the late levels of a SNG, it's about push/folding, and bots can do that very well.

Also, you can have it 8-tabling through the night picking on all the bad players.

The best thing about a bot is that it knows how to push certain cards in certain positions.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 AM

It may be difficult, but people are trying. I'm sure you are aware there are very serious efforts to make very good bots. Check here if you are interested. I don't really know anything about what any of these people, or others, are doing, but I don't really see why they couldn't make a poker deep blue if they devoted enough resources to it.

Thing is, a successful bot on party will be optimized to play against typical opponants. It probably wouldn't be based on really evaluating any particular players patterns, as they are probably not very static anyway.

But, even if a bot isn't that great, it is probably better than most of the players and I hope the web sites do a decent job of detecting them.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It may be difficult, but people are trying. I'm sure you are aware there are very serious efforts to make very good bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. I've followed the ualberta team's work for quite awhile now.

My point is that this guy sees everyday normal play and human tendencies and thinks it's a sign of a bot or software assistance. That's just silly.

eastbay
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 AM

Okay fine, anyway I was just asking because I read it somewhere so wasn't sure on that, and not to mention remembering some people here posting about programs they use to analyze what to do.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay fine, anyway I was just asking because I read it somewhere so wasn't sure on that, and not to mention remembering some people here posting about programs they use to analyze what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to offend you. I just strongly suspect you're seeing ghosts.

And you're probably talking about my program, which doesn't read bets. That's up to the stuff between the ears of the user.

eastbay
Old 03-28-2005, 02:03 AM

no.. you're not playing against bots.

you made a deceptive play, and your opponent fell for it, that's all.

heads-up is aggressive... think... why would you jump to the conclusion that this must be bot-play?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you might be an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you might be an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Speak for yourself

Okay forget it, my mistake for actually asking a question. Not once did I say the example was a bot, it was posted to get an outside opinion.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:50 AM

I was speaking for myself. I think you may be an idiot.

If your hand example had nothing to do with your question of playing against bots-

Perhaps, now this is just a suggestion, ok, don't take it too harshly... You shouldn't have included it in your post loosely "about" bots.

Maybe.

citanul

edit: reread that last post. basically, you put a play on your opponent. well done. it's in no way indicative of a bot though. why on earth you would think that would be a bot necessarilly instead of say, a human who came to the exact conclusion you were trying to make your opponent come to? lord.