Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Bankrolls within a bankroll, diversify?

OK, I'm having a little trouble deciding on my roll strategy, I'll try to keep this short.

I've found that party 10+1's are my best game with limited funds, but lets face it, the hourly return blows donkeys. I need to move up to the 30 or 50 game asap, but I'm not willing to play scared or risk ruin. If not for 3 stupid cashouts when I didn't need the money I'd be there now.

My current plan A is to build my $460 into 1000+ and move to 30+3's with a nice safety net, but I question my strategy for several reasons.

1) I know my future(when I go pro) is ring play.

2) I don't have a huge sample at pl/nl cash games, but I've pretty much killed party pl$25.

So now onto plan B. Taking shots' I can pull $100-$150 a week at 10+1's easily, most likely more on average. I'm thinking every time I hit $560 I can kick $100 into my ring balance and $100 into my cash NL balance and always keep them seperate(on paper). I can take shots, or play the baby levels with these small buyins, but I'll always be adding to them so quick bust outs wont mean much, and I'll get a better feel for what my true "best internet" game is. On the other hand this will slow my progress to higher, more profitable Sng's.

Does anyone else have a split bankroll or something along these lines? I know I'm a rambling man, but is any of this not stupid?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Bankrolls within a bankroll, diversify?

If you are a winning player with prior experience at the Party $30 SNGs, just work your way up to about $600 and play those.

Maybe Im underbankrolled but thats what I keep on Party and its about 20 buy-ins at the $30 level.

I usually switch between ring games, no limit (usually $50) and the SNGs every week or two so I dont get burned out playing the same thing.

I know what you're saying about the ring games though. I should probably focus more on those because obviously they are the most popular both B&M and online. Ive only played up to 3/6 (4/8 at Bellagio once) so I have a ways to go.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:57 AM

Default Boy howdy, do I have split bankrolls!

I'm very fiscally conservative, so I do in fact keep seperate rolls for different occasions.

<ul type="square"> [*]My SNGs at each major site (UB/Party/Paradise/Stars) each have ~20 buyins. It's about 55 buyins than most people recommend, but better to have too much than too little.[*]~300BB at party to play in ring games.[*]~300BB in a checking account dedicated to playing in live games.[*]~200BB dedicated to screwing around. Used for multi-table tourneys, games where I'm the fish, to try to learn other forms of poker at limits that aren't .50/1, and to play any game while under the influence of things and stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img][/list]
If you're serious about SNGs, I do suggest that you check out the SNGs at sites other than party. While party clearly has the most fish at the 10+1 level, I find the games there to be about as much fun as beating myself with a war hammer.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:06 PM

i just keep 500$ in netteller for bonus whoring and the rest in whatever skin i currently reside at.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:00 PM

I try to do this as well. I am in Pstars, paradise and UB. I rarely get bonus offers lately. Business too good?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 AM

im only getting about 1 a month over the last 2 months as well.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:05 PM

I did this last year in my record keeping (mainly because I'm anal by nature). I had each site that I play at broke down into how much bankroll I had for each game I played. I might have 50% for hold'em and 50% for omaha etc.

I haven't done that yet this year because I have decided to dedicate my play to hold'em until I build my bankroll to my desired level. Then I will figure out what I want to do. I think the main reason I did it last year was that it was my first year playing and I wanted to see where I was making money and test out different games.

Smart or stupid I don't know but it worked for me. Gave me a good idea where I was at and what I wanted to do.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 PM

I do this also.......

Bankroll at Paradise almost exclusively for SnG's (I like their SnG's better than Party)

Bankroll at Pokerstars for multi's and some limit holdem

Bankroll at Party for limit holdem

Bankroll at True for limit holdem

Bankroll at undisclosed site for PL Omaha (my current main game and I ain't tellin' none of you where to play it, my gosh what a great place to play Omaha!)

I rarely, if ever, deviate from the games I play at these sites and I consider the money at each site to be exclusively the bankroll for the game played at that site. I also keep about 1K at neteller for the rarer and rarer deposit bonus offer.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:00 PM

I did something similar to you. I would win all week long at the .50/1 NL game at stars, and at the beginning of the next week, I would play in the 200+15 Sunday tournament (both on stars and party). This was a quick way for me to lose money. I definately regret doing that.

I learn that multi-table tournaments are not where the big money is, but I guess that's not relevant here at all.

I would think it's a much better idea to just play limit with a roll of around 100 big bets (while still leaving a seperate SNG roll). When you play a game for 2 days at a time and then go bust, you learn it at a lot slower rate than if you just jam your brain with that limit and nothing else. I jumped around way to much my first 5 months of poker and I really regret it.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:00 PM

If your game is eventually going to be ring games, then why don't you just move into ring games? The ring experience you get will be valuable as you try to play at increasingly higher stakes. SNGs are a different beast, and your experience won't be as valuable.

Why would you be playing SNGs if you plan on changing to ring? Either SNGs are better EV or ring is better EV. Choose which now and go for it.