Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 07:05 AM

Default This one might be interesting

Decent middle limit game though my seat position sucks. Anyway... Full table, 10 people.

UTG raises, UTG+1 and UTG+2 cold call, folded around to me in the BB, I call with [ 4c, 4s].

UTG is somewhat loose aggressive, plays ok but tends to push things too far some times. I'd describe UTG as 'mediocre' though I'm still open for interpretation on his game. UTG+1 is a big fish. He sees more than 60% of flops and never raises preflop, yet is capable of stupid things postflop (both aggressive and passive). He's very bad. UTG+2 appears solid.

Flop (8.5 SBs): [5s 6h 9h]
I check, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, I call.

~ At this point given the board's texture I think folding is a big mistake so I'd like to see what the turn brings and how the action goes.
~ Plus, UTG is probably expecting me to bet pairs into him so he is more likely to take my call as meaning I'm taking one off with overs or some kind of straight draw. This can give me more luxury and options on the turn.

Turn (5.75 BBs): [5s 6h 9h][6s]
I check, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, I raise, both call.

~ Given my history with UTG I expect him to bet AK/AT and KQ/KJ again on the turn.
~ I think I might have the best hand here a lot of the time since the fish has just been calling.
~ I'm getting 2:1 on my raise as I expect both to call (and it's an easy fold if I get 3 bet).
~ It'd be ideal for me if my checkraise can get UTG to fold (either a better hand or as it'll be most of the time, 12 live outs) and I get HU with the moron.

River (11.75 BBs): [5s 6h 9h 6s][7s]
I check, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, I call.

~ I don't want to get bluff raised.
~ I'm pretty certain UTG+1 will fire at this pot with any two cards that've made it this far.
~ Making UTG overcall is preferable to me being the better and giving UTG the chance to be the first caller.

Spraying, +EV line, what you say?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: This one might be interesting

IMO, you would have to be pretty confident in your read to want to check-raise the turn as opposed to folding, but if you're that confident in your read i dont see a problem.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 AM

Way over my head. I fold the flop. The way I see it is I'm beaten or in a coin flip.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM

I see no good reason to check the flop.

Why not bet it and take it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, you would have to be pretty confident in your read to want to check-raise the turn as opposed to folding, but if you're that confident in your read i dont see a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

How often do you see a river with two opponents after a check-raised turn and neither of the opponents have less than one pair? 'Cause that's what you need to win.

If I make this river call, I do it with tissues in hand and pray that UTG folds and UTG+1 shows me a busted flush draw. But I think that's praying for a lot.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I on the other hand don't think you need much of a read at all. With that board there is a good chance you are up against overs and as Shcnieds says it's easy to fold to a 3 bet.

I would have just bet out on the river as well but I like the logic behind the check call. Shows how much I still have to learn.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 AM

If your read on UTG is that he is truly mediocre, you really oughta bet this flop.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:48 AM

I think the river is debatable but if you are certain the fishy guy will bet, then I like it. I really like the line you took on the flop and turn. You can't really get 3-bet there on the turn and even if behind you almost certainly have outs. The alternative is to checkraise the flop, and that's ok too and might save you some tough choices later if something like a J or Q comes on the turn and it goes check-bet......
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 PM

Question: Will the mediocre raise overcards on the flop?

I think this may be even more reason to lead out.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:20 PM

nit.