Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: AK suited in second hour

AK looks pretty and yes it does play better when you get to see all five cards but its a dangerous hand...... i mean your a slight underdog to a small pair and why would you wanna flip if it meant most of your stack? I recently had the same situation cost me alot when i reraised all in with AK suited and some knucklehead called me with 79o??????
it knocked me out of a 400 person tournament in 10th place which paid 350. and first place was 10,000. had i only mucked it to be safe ......damm my whole life woulda changed.
good luck sir. or madam [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AK looks pretty and yes it does play better when you get to see all five cards but its a dangerous hand...... i mean your a slight underdog to a small pair and why would you wanna flip if it meant most of your stack? I recently had the same situation cost me alot when i reraised all in with AK suited and some knucklehead called me with 79o??????
it knocked me out of a 400 person tournament in 10th place which paid 350. and first place was 10,000. had i only mucked it to be safe ......damm my whole life woulda changed.
good luck sir. or madam [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't argue that it's bad to push AK preflop because you got called by 9-7 and lost despite being a 3:2 favorite. That's silly. That's just bad luck.

Back to the OP, the flop push is horrid. Today I had my rockets reraised by AK PF, and then he pushed a 10-9-5 rainbow flop into me. The hand pretty much played out exactly as yours did. I doubt the villian has AA here, but why are you not giving him credit for a large pair? Everything he's done really screams at least JJ, but probably QQ+ or AK. I fold to the reraise preflop here. AK is a great hand, but you have a very decent stack still, and have lots of poker you can play with that stack. I wouldn't risk it here. Wait for a better spot.

Brad
Old 07-28-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTF you have a big stack, but still relatively speaking you are
shortstacked compared to the blinds. When reraised by the small blind I think you have two choices, either moving all in or folding your hand. The problem with pushing is if you lose you become more short stacked and you are facing a likely medium to big pair so you are a dog. You don't have to gamble right now. Therefore I would preserve
my big stack and fold. Now if my stack were a lot bigger or
smaller than I would definitely push. Once you see the flop
I think your only play is to fold. The flop did not help you. If you look at the pot odds you got before the flop it
was costing you 1400 to win a 2900 pot. You are getting 2:1
on your money, but the odds of hitting your hand are around 3:1, another good reason why calling is incorrect.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a party $20. I have seen people reraise our hero's apparent steal raise with hands as bad as KQ and AJ to make pushing a +EV move here I think. Is the villain's range of hands really as small as a high-mid pair? I think he has AQ or worse about 20% of the time here. Anyone's thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if he has AQ or worse 20% of the time, does that still make a push right? If we add AQ and AJ to the equation here and make the villian's range AJ+ 88+ AK is still not much of a favorite, albeit a small one.

I think the table image would be helpful here if hero is stealing lots then I would reraise with a push before the flop. But otherwise, it's hard for me to play this hand here with the stack I have.

Brad
Old 07-28-2005, 03:20 PM

crazydave... Rochester, NY by any chance?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:22 PM

It looks like I'm the only one to say this so far, but I think you need to fold preflop. What range does villian have here? AA-QQ, AK, and if we are very generous, AQ. 80% of the time its giong to be AA-QQ. It's just not a good situation. You only lost 600 chips, you have 0 fold equity, fold and move on.

There is no reason to see a flop. He's not going to put in any $ if an A or K flops and it puts him behind (i.e. QQ). A lot of people think you have to win every pot. You have a huge stack w/ a lot of room to play. Move on to the next hand.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 PM

Hi, This is my first post, I think the villain in this case has already shown that his range of playable hands is way larger than everyone here is giving him credit for. I can't remember the last time I played 4 out of 8 hands dealt. He has already shown a suicidal tendency by calling an all-in from a short stack with AT? Personally when I'm a short stack I'm looking for atleast AJ to move all in and it takes a better hand to call with than it does to bet with. I wouldn't be at all surprised here if he had ace rag, very rarely do I see people play big pairs deceptively, usually they would make a re-raise more in the neighborhood of $1000-$1200, but not 2-1/2x the initial bet, that's trying to win the hand before the flop IMO
Old 07-28-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hi, This is my first post, I think the villain in this case has already shown that his range of playable hands is way larger than everyone here is giving him credit for. I can't remember the last time I played 4 out of 8 hands dealt. He has already shown a suicidal tendency by calling an all-in from a short stack with AT? Personally when I'm a short stack I'm looking for atleast AJ to move all in and it takes a better hand to call with than it does to bet with. I wouldn't be at all surprised here if he had ace rag, very rarely do I see people play big pairs deceptively, usually they would make a re-raise more in the neighborhood of $1000-$1200, but not 2-1/2x the initial bet, that's trying to win the hand before the flop IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

he said villian played 2 out of 8 hands. thats more than reasonable. this may change your view. i disagree for the reasons already mentioned in my post above.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:43 PM

It's certainly either push or fold but calling is out of the question. I'm leaning towards folding here with your stack size and his. Against just about every other player at the table I'm all in but looks like vilaain's reraise means he's not folding and very rarely here are you laying down the best hand unless your read is he would make this play with a weaker Ace.

I like to use AK to make others lay down by coming over the top but its not a hand i like calling with and in this circumstance I can't see your reraise getting him to fold after he has already put 40% of his chips in here.