Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Dealer keeps showing people my cards

Wow, i was just about to start a thread on this.

There is this one "regular" at Ceasars AC where I always play. I think his name is Brian. Hes a middle aged guy who looks like he hit the bottle a little too hard. I was playing a very LAG game, raising with weak cards trying to generate some looser action in the 1/2 NL game.

Anyway, he asks the dealer no less than 5 times to see my hand at showdown, even once when it was checked on both the turn and the river. And all 5 times the dealer turned them up. I tried turbomucking and throwing them as hard as i could at the deck, but it was hard as i was in the 7 or 8 seat farthest away from the muck :/.

Then, the next day, he was at my table AGAIN and was doing the same [censored] to me and then always had a comment about how weak my hand was lol
Old 11-07-2005, 02:13 AM

I have always handled it this way, and I have NEVER had someone ask a second time to see my mucked hand at showdown.

When the person requests to see my hand, I politely say to the dealer "before you show my cards, can you please call the floor". They call the floor over and I again, politely say to the floor "this person thinks I am cheating and I would like to know on what grounds they are making this accusation." The vast majority of players don't seem to know the origins of the rule and they get very defensive and embarassed and say "I never said you were cheating, I just want to see your cards" ect... so then I ask the floor "the rule is used to prevent cheating by collusion, is it not? So if he/she wants to see my cards it's because they think I am cheating, right?" and the floor says yes, and even though the person still has the right to see my hand, I would say 90% of them just say don't bother because now they feel uncomfortable about the whole situation. Most players looking for information don't want to be assosciated with accusing people of cheating.

It has worked for me and then you have one small tie up of the game for a minute rather than have bad feeling when you retaliate by calling it on them, or calling it on everyone and having the floor get involved more because people are abusing it.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 AM

play higher limits
Old 11-07-2005, 10:25 AM

If you are in the hand at showdown, ANY player at the table is allowed to ask to see your cards. And frankly, they would be smart to. First, it gives information, and second, your reaction is likely to tilt you... and I WANT tilted players at the table with me.

There is no abuse of the rule.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM

You're kidding right?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:51 PM

If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

Bonus points, because that will tilt half the table.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:07 PM

next time ask the women directly" Do you think I am cheating?" when she looks at you puzzled explain the rule and why its there. Its not to see what your playing.
Also when you muck, fling them in [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] lol or atleast get them in the middle so there un retrievable
Old 11-07-2005, 01:13 PM

I don't know if they arrange the muck or anything, but shooting your cards deep into it should make it hard to retrieve them. I find the dealer pulls out at least one wrong card 60% of the time, though my sample size is small.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:22 PM

Here's the thing though - once it becomes an issue, I dont even care what the cards are anymore. They are trash. Thats why they were mucked... but asking for them is going to piss you off and one less good player at the table is +ev for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I found something that would tilt the potentially strongest player at the table, I'd do it in a second if it were legal.

I understand the reasoning behind the original rule... but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still a rule and the reasoning behind wanting to see someone's cards is immaterial. If the floor wants to make it seem like the rule is ONLY for cheating, I will simply say "something doesnt seem right about his play".

Bonus points, because that will tilt half the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rule is that you have the "privilege" to see a called hand at showdown. Operative word is privilege. Most of the rule books I have seen are worded this way and that privilege may be revoked for abuse.

My favorite story regarding this was pulled off by a friend of mine who executed the greatest slowroll ever. An old man was asking to see every hand at the river. After asking to see my friend's hand multiple times he was fed up with this guy.

A hand came up where he made the nuts on the river and just smooth called the old mans bet. The old man showed his hand and my friend declared "nice hand" and placed his cards face down in front of him. The dealer began swiping them in when sure enough true to form the old man said "I want to see that hand" Blam over comes the nuts, the pot gets reawarded, old man freaks out, and never asks to see a hand again.