Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Fairly common situation

Trying out Stars 5/10 since I made a deposit. It sucks, by the way. I don't like the software. Anyway, 6- or 7-handed, I'm in BB with 1000 behind and JJ, CO opens to 40 after a limper or two, I make it 110, he calls, limpers drop. Flop AKx and I bet 200, he calls. Turn is a blank.

I have been at this table for maybe two orbits, and I don't know anything about CO. He hasn't done anything really stupid yet, but I guess he hasn't had a chance to in only two orbits.

I realize I can get away from this bad situation by smoothcalling JJ preflop, but I prefer to take the iniative in the hand if I can, and JJ should be ahead of a raising hand more times than not. What do you do on the turn? I think it's possible that he may lay down a weak Ace to a turn push (I have about the pot left in my stack), but I could also be throwing money in an oven and setting it to broil. Check/call would be ok against a maniac, but I'm probably too much of a wuss to do it. Check/fold is lame, but that's the most obvious move.

It's such an easy and good play to call the flop with any two cards in this situation as CO that I don't know how to defend against it.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Fairly common situation

HI,

First of all, interesting hand.

On first sight I would definitely choose the check/fold course of action, but I can see the lameness of this.

IMO You have to be up against a pretty good player to do amything else. Check/push is out of the question, but would be the next best thing i think. However, since the player prolly has A- (Q J u name it) I think he would problaby check on the turn with the intention of calling the river.

As for betting out on the turn $450ish, I think an average player calls with the AQ I presume he has, but I might be wrong here.

In short, I think a lot depends on the read you have here (or moreso on the rating of his game). Then again, what do I know :-)

Greets,

Johan
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 PM

Did you consider check-raising the flop?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 PM

Either make a pot to bigger than pot sized bet on the turn, or check/fold. Flat calling is pretty horrible.

Flop check/raise idea seems like an interesting idea as well, but I'm not experienced with it.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:53 PM

I think villian has a hand he will call down with. Check fold and save your chips. In this case, "lameness" is +EV.

JKratzer