Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Worst Call ever

I felt like a jackass right after I clicked call. SB had raised the previous 4 hands and I told myself I was playing to win. Stupid move?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) converter

UTG (t730)
Button (t3000)
SB (t4500)
Hero (t1770)

Dealt to Hero (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
2 folds, SB raises all-in t4500, Hero calls
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Worst Call ever

I had a guy misclick-call my 85k chip all-in with 42o in a Pokerstars MTT. He was not pleased.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a guy misclick-call my 85k chip all-in with 42o in a Pokerstars MTT. He was not pleased.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I wonder how this thread could continue after the above...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Certainly not the worst call. I think it's pretty close. The shorty isn't THAT short and the SB is pretty much on any two.

I think AT is a call for sure. Someone should run the numbers on it.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 PM

the "numbers" say A7s is a -3.6% EV call with button as a maniac (AA-22, Ax, Kx, Qx, J7+, T8+, 98), so not so good. With button pushing any 2, its still -2.0% to call. However, it lists the only actual +EV call hands as JJ-AA, so who knows.

My gut feeling is its a bad call. Playing to win is one thing, but better to play for a win with a better spot or once already ITM. (You gain just as much $ going from OTM to 3rd as you do from 2nd to 1st)
Old 09-01-2005, 10:00 PM

That's JJ+ on any two or on maniac?

Either way, looks like I'm toast with my AT call. Wah. I'll plead rust. I haven't played in a while.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:49 PM

Given the exact situation, it seems like a really bad call.. you have almost 2.5x as many chips as the short stack, not to mention two 'free' hands before you hit your next BB. By calling, you are taking a huge chance of bubbling, without proportionate gain in equity in chip EV.

Remember, when you call a big stack's allin, you're taking chips away from him that are not that significant, since that player is likely to make the money anyways. The player/s you want to be taking risks against are the short stack and the middle stacks, if you absolutely must. Here, I would likely fold all but very strong hands, like 99+, AQs+. Maybe sng analyzer says differently but I would definitely not call here with a hand as marginal as A7c.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 PM

It is good to be tight here, but I think it's not too bad a call if you put SB on ANY two, which seems to be accurate.

A7 might not make it, but I guess AT will.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is good to be tight here, but I think it's not too bad a call if you put SB on ANY two, which seems to be accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the problem is that the short stack is so short. If the guy had like 1300, and not 750, it would be an easy call. But because the short stack is going to have to post almost half his stack to pass the next blinds, that gives him a very good chance of going broke before you are even in 'desperation' mode. So therefore you can fold here, passing up a very likely +EV chip edge, but retain the GIANT cash EV edge you have.

Understanding when to place more value on cash EV than chip EV is what separates the great sng players from the rest of them.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the problem is that the short stack is so short. If the guy had like 1300, and not 750, it would be an easy call. But because the short stack is going to have to post almost half his stack to pass the next blinds, that gives him a very good chance of going broke before you are even in 'desperation' mode. So therefore you can fold here, passing up a very likely +EV chip edge, but retain the GIANT cash EV edge you have.

Understanding when to place more value on cash EV than chip EV is what separates the great sng players from the rest of them.

[/ QUOTE ]