Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Burn the bridge or not!

I'm moving to another city in a couple weeks and will be playing poker professionally.
(I'll be living rent free at my bros place for ~8 months. He stayed with me for awhile in the past so I'll take advantage of cheap living for a bit)

The job I have now is a crappy $10/hr dead end p.o.s. I've been there 2 & 1/2 years.
I've been playing around with the idea of not showing up till they lay me off. With this job your not fired, your layed off if they don't want you.
If I take that route I could go on UnEmployment Insurance for many months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Of course it could screw up the old resume down the road.
I could be responsible and put in 2 weeks notice.

One thing to mention, the last 6 months I've called in sick many times (way too many infact). I'm not even sure they would provide a good reference anyways.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Burn the bridge or not!

What kind of resume filler would a $10/hr dead end job be anyway. This is the kind of job that I can easily see someone quitting if he can play poker half way decent.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm moving to another city in a couple weeks and will be playing poker professionally.
(I'll be living rent free at my bros place for ~8 months. He stayed with me for awhile in the past so I'll take advantage of cheap living for a bit)

The job I have now is a crappy $10/hr dead end p.o.s. I've been there 2 & 1/2 years.
I've been playing around with the idea of not showing up till they lay me off. With this job your not fired, your layed off if they don't want you.
If I take that route I could go on UnEmployment Insurance for many months [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One thing to mention, the last 6 months I've called in sick many times (way too many infact). I'm not even sure they would provide a good reference anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]don't burn your bridges. ever.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:20 PM

Ive never heard of a job what will lay off someone that can be terminated with cause (no call/no show is cause every time). Layoffs cost money, firing dead weight costs paperwork, and not even that much.

Play smart. References are important.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:22 PM

I dont disagree with leaving the job. Im just saying leave it like a man.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:25 PM

I agree, I would just turn in my 2 weeks. If you stop showing up, you probably won't be eligible for unemployment. Of course I'm not sure about the laws in your state, etc.

And like someone said, a $10/hr job isn't all that great on a resume. If you plan to go to college later, that's not going to matter much. If you aren't going to college, that 2 1/2 year gap(plus however many more years are added playing poker) may really kill your resume. But what kind of job do you expect to get without any college? Of course this is assuming you didn't go to college. If you did, and graduated, I'd just turn in my 2 weeks and tell future employers that I stopped working there because I moved away.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't sound right at all. It would make no sense for a Company to lay you off when they can fire you, especially when you have essentially quit by failing to show up. I'd double check this if I were you.