Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: PLO8, Flop play

I joined the FullContactPoker forum after finding out about it the other day and have been digging through some of the older FCP PLO/8 threads. I feel like I've just experienced the poker equivalent of culture shock. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 02:57 PM

I just finished reading through this thread and have to agree with the more aggressive play.

PLO8 takes balls. Sometimes you can "grow" them, sometimes you can't. My husband can't take it. He wimps out sometime during the hand. So he simply stopped playing.

The variance can be brutal.

As far as the posters on this forum, in my own case, I like the shtick that Winter and Ribbo have, but I can't really learn from them at the beginning. Discovering on my own is the only way I can learn. Getting kicked in the balls a few times by experience is the way to my brain. Everyone is different. First I have to get sucker punched a few hundred times, then I can go back and learn from different posts and books.

Over the past few months my style has changed somewhat from a trapping, fishing kind of play to a more aggressive style. I still attempt to suck loose players in somewhat, but not nearly as much as I did in the beginning. Now I push with big hands, big draws and let the chips fall where they may. Yeah, I lost like five buy-ins in a row one time, some brutal beats, but looking over the hand histories and Two Dimes, I was the favorite in every case, bar none (I'm still a rock, and nothing will change that, lol).

I agree with the posts that ask, "What kind of flop are you looking for, exactly, if not for this one???" Basically, are you truly only looking to flop some monster like a straight-flush or quads every time you have a hand like this? Don't be unrealistic, you flopped almost exactly what you should have expected, so don't wimp out now.

I'm not a great PLO8 player, but even as a newbie I'm learning that I can't just sit around hoping to win when checked all the way down, at showdown. I have to take risks, and not just a few, but a lot. It's so ingrained in us limit players not to take huge risks, but we must change our style for this game, or not expect to make much just peddling the nuts.

You seem like you already know all of this, but just want confirmation. So here you have it.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PLO8 takes balls. Sometimes you can "grow" them, sometimes you can't. My husband can't take it. He wimps out sometime during the hand. So he simply stopped playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of "balls" is not the reason that I don't play.. I _am_ a winning NLHE player, and you definitely need balls there. (There have been plenty of times that you've been watching and said "why did you bet that", and I said, "cause I knew they'd fold". I don't know, to me, that takes balls.)

I do admit to being a nut peddler in Omaha though. And it's the following statement that really made me stop playing PLO8:

[ QUOTE ]
The variance can be brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So there! Now stop tarnishing my reputation! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wait.. do I have a reputation? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 03:47 PM

Me too. They definitely play a different version of O8 over there.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:51 PM

I think he sounds like "Comic book guy" from the Simpsons. Snide, condescending, full of himself, and probably lives with his mother.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He came up last night when me, gergery, and emptyshell were playing a little NLHE... Gerg said he's the winningest player in his database, which was surprising to me because he's such a tight player. I looked him up, and sure enough, he's not that huge of a winner according to my numbers (which have a decent # of hands):

{{TOT HANDS: 13,271 - BB/100: 3.4
VP$IP: 13 - PFR: 2
WON: $4,046 - CR: 1.08
WSD: 23.9 - W$SD: 67.6}}

It looks like he's just a tight, unimaginative nut peddler, which will work fine but won't achieve the optimal winrate, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have mispoke. What I meant to say was that he is the player who has won the most off of me. But that is only because I happened to be playing particularly badly one night and bluffed into him twice to lose a couple buyins at a high level.

I have his winrate at 17 BB/100, but if it wasn't for about a 15 minutes period where i was retarded, his winrate would be 9 BB/100 overall. either way, my winrate is higher than his.

In the $200 game, he is the 27th most winning player out of 126th players that i have 200+ hands with. But he is the 3rd tightest. And at the 400 level, he is the 16/41. He is a mega-rock, and is orders of magnutude tighter than just about everyone else in the PLO8 games. His is a winning style, but no where close optimum play and there are plenty of players better than him.

He wins from new players who don't know how he plays, and from bad regular players. And from good players who happen to be playing badly [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But against good regular players he just gets ground down. He is certainly not anyone i'm unhappy to see at my table.

--Greg
Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smasharoo

[/ QUOTE ]

So greg isnt he rainaruby? It fits the profile you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it appears that Smasharoo is rainaruby. It would explain why Smash appears to understand the game, yet gives such rediculously bad weak-tight advice.

i'm sure Smash is a winning player, and sure his advice will make new players winners. But he is giving up a huge amount of EV, and I certainly would not call him a good poker player -- he can execute one style that works but put him in a game with good players that requires a different style or even a short-handed game and he'll get eaten alive.

People shouldn't confuse his ability to win some money with being an excellent player. The fact that he has many people at FTP folding this hand at low levels while getting a good overlay AND that's he is so adamant that he is correct is testament to the fact that he can't adapt his play and as a result is merely above average and certainly no where close to excellent.

-g
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, it appears that Smasharoo is rainaruby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this confirmed? Or just speculation? That would be hilarious...
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, it appears that Smasharoo is rainaruby.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just speculation.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when playing with him say something like this,

You: Anyone here been to the full contact poker forums?

If no one replies then,

You: You guys want to read some stupid ideas about this game go to fullcontact poker, man that place is full of stupid people who dont know wtf they are talking about.

If no one replies then,

You: So Rainaruby your a usual poster on the fullcontact poker forums no? Someone was talking about this.

See theres those were the, just a guy asking about stuff question, guy hoping to piss someone quote, and I know you quote, one is bound to work.

Also Rainaruby, Clown_God, Seminole2005, I believe they are all from fullcontact poker no? I can almost be 100% certain, so when you see them pick one of the above quotes and try your luck.