Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Fast Structure STTs

Stacks start at 100 (92 in one case, but 100 for the one that I play most often).

Blinds start at 1/2 and go to 2/4, 5/10, then double after that (10/20, 20/40, etc.).

They do this every 20 minutes, maybe 15 minutes, have between 8 and 11 players, and I can get in maybe a hand per minute and a half to two minutes (live game).

The good thing is that there's no rake.

---

I've noticed that very quickly I'm going all in.

Sometimes I'll raise to 3x blinds if I want callers, in the later stages of the tourney, but generally it's all-in, other than the first 3-4 stages.

I've noticed that many of the players are very loose, and often they'll minraise pf in the later stages. In the start of the tourney, the loose players will play stuff like K9o, etc.

What I'm curious about, is whether or not it's actually worth while being loose in the start of the tourney, because after a while it quickly becomes auto-pilot, and I feel that the shallow-stack, but deepest stack, first part of the tourney, is the only place where an experienced player takes a huge edge).

The problem is that at the very start of the tourney it'll be like 5-8 handed limped or like 4-6 handed raised, so it's hard to exert any real force at this point.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm going to try to talk them into the same structure with 500 in the stack. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, and the 2nd place gets two buys, first gets the rest.

--Dave.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Fast Structure STTs

If the blinds are going up every 15 minutes you have to keep accumulating chips early to avoid being forced all in later when you get under 10XBB remaining with less than optimal cards.
It's ok to come in, especially where you have better position with less than optimal starting hands (More suited connectors, high 1 gap suited hands).
What you are looking to do there is flop a deceptive monster and punish the loose players to build your stack early.
The downside is you have to be very good at knowing when to get out to avoid bleeding yourself too dry early if you play more hands early.

The good news if you have a monster is that you can pretty much be sure there will be a few people that will do most of the betting for you post flop if you catch something big in early position.

When I play games like this it often takes big raises to get people out pre flop.
I'm talking about raises that are crazy in a normal full ring game like 1/2 to 2/3 of someones remaning stack, even in the early stages.