Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Analysis

[ QUOTE ]
Calling is more profitable in a tight game than in a loose game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. It is, however, more profitable in an aggressive game than in a passive game.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Analysis

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Calling is more profitable in a tight game than in a loose game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a dangerous generalization. Sometimes this statement is completely false. It entirely depends on your hand and the texture of the game.

Maybe instead of replying with a one line rule of thumb in an attempt to retort my entire post that contains objective evidence from my simulator that is relevant to the post, you could actually put something with thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the problem in a loose game:

You could be up against: AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88, 77, 55 44, AK, AQ ,AJ, AT, Ax, KQ, KJ, JTs, T9s, 98s, random rags, etc. Obviously the capper probably has a stronger hand than the the 3-bettor, but I've seen people cap suited trash plenty before in loose games. The problem is that you won't know where you are at, so depending on your opponents and the board, you might have to see a showdown w/o a set. When you do flop a set, if they have AK AQ KQ or whatever rather than AA KK QQ, you're not gonna be able to get 4-bets in on the turn. At some point (probably relatively early in the hand) their aggression will die out with overcards and they'll just call down.

Now, in a tighter game, you may very well be ahead of the 3-bettor: AK, AQ, etc. but the capper almost certainly has you beat w/ AA/KK/QQ. Now you fold with a clear conscience when you don't flop a set, and when you do, you're going to get a jammed pot unless the player with the overpair is extremely passive.

Sort of like the theory of poker. Would you rather play 66 against an opponent who could have: AA KK QQ JJ TT 99 88 77 55 44 AK AQ AJ AT KQs KJs and a few other random hands thrown in, or an opponent who you know has either AA or KK?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: huge hands sure

This is silly. The pot is offering our hero 5:1. That is enough in implied odds even if the opponents have AA and KK. The key in this hand is being able to fold when you don't flop your set (actually, you can call and fold the turn if the flop action is check-bet-call). If you can't do this, don't play this hand (and don't play poker).
Old 12-09-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Typical preflop situation

Call it quickly or call it slowly? I can't decide either.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Typical preflop situation

[ QUOTE ]
And an increase in witrate remains several changes of state-of-mind away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not worried about an increase in winrate. Well over 3BB/100 is fine with me

blubster