Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: The Theory of Top Set

Hank Scorpio said in an earlier post to simply, flat-out trust your reads, which in a situation like this - where yu have the nuts barring any bizarre runner-runner possibilities - is an absolutely correct statement. the question is whether to lead out or check raise, i dont see you getting too creative and check-calling here (although i guess that argument could be made), the pot has been raised and is multi-way so you shouldnt feel too bad if you dont get any bites when you cast your line but of course w/ top set/rainbow flop it would be nice to get some more in there.
So it comes down to basically: passive table - bet the pot / aggressive table - check raise.
Also think about what kind of image youve had so far, how many hands hv yu shown down? were they strong hands? have you tried to steal-raise lately? If you're looking like a solid/tight player then maybe the check-calling argument could be made even stronger but if you've shown down some bad hands then go ahead and lead out and pray that you get raised.
Again, I dont think there is a unifying theory that could be applied to top set or any other strong/monster hand that puts you in a spot where your decisions are based on building a large pot. If you have a good lock on your opponents and your own table image then it shouldnt be a problem to get max value out of your monsters.