Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Unorthodox play. River min-raise bluff.

Villain is not unreasonable, but a bit too passive on flop and turn and a bit too aggressive on the river. (1.2/1.8/5) Also a bit too loose preflop (35/12), but as I said, not unreasonable/horrible. Went to showdown 24, won at showdown 52. (For what it's worth after 200 hands.)

I've seen him do the "think-a-long-time-before-I-check-to-the-pfr-act" earlier, and it was a draw. I can therefore assume he knows that that is a tell of a strong hand (but it could be a coincidense of course, maybe he multitables). I don't think it simply meant that he was pondering weather to lead out his draw or not, because of his flop aggression factor.

I've been a bit tight/cold decked this session, if he's been paying attention to that. 22/13. He definitly hasn't seen me min-raise before.

Calling station isn't so bad that he will call the flop with anything (especially not overcall), but pretty much with any draw, any ace and probably any mid-high pocket.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB (villain) ($310.80)
BB (calling station) ($575.03)
UTG ($200)
Hero ($245.45)
CO ($198)
Button ($111.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB(villain) posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (villain) (poster) calls $7, BB (calling station) calls $6.

Flop: ($24) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villain pauses for some time and checks, calling station checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, villain calls $16, calling station calls $16.

Turn: ($72) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villain pauses again and checks, calling station checks, Hero checks.

River: ($72) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">villain bets $40</font>, calling station folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $80</font>

Final Pot: $192
Old 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Unorthodox play. River min-raise bluff.

are you representing the boat or you think he would make this river bet with pocket pair under A ?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:26 PM

I'm represnting the boat. But I would never ever play it like this.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:27 PM

You wont get an A to fold here enough of the time to make this profitable. Your only hope is that he made the stupid move of betting the river with a mid pocket pair.

I don't like it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:32 PM

The only hand that folds here that you aren't beating is Kx of spades.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:34 PM

And 5x of spades at least. Are you suggesting I call?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:36 PM

I like it. You're betting 40 into 112 against an opponent that may have nothing and may even fold an ace. You read him for a draw and you went with the read. I'm not sure why you mini-raised and gave him great odds. I guess you're not expecting him to fold an ace here. I hate mini-raising but here seems like it could work, you give yourself good pot odds on the bluff, and your opponent will probably fold only a little less to it as he will a bet of 140.

Edit: This really does look like a value bet, and he only folds a flush draw. The ace is out there, so that really reduces that likelihood. Upon further review I don't like to bluff here, but if you are going to, that's the way to do it.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:41 PM

Also, remember his river aggression. He might bet hands that we don't expect him to bet here.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:43 PM

I'm not suggesting you call but you could be ahead of a small busted flush draw (which, technically, you'd want to call your minraise). Your line doesn't make any sense (by which I mean the only conceivable hand you might play in this way legitmately is AA and representing something that specifically generally is a bad idea) so he's not going to fold anything with showdown value. As you have zero showdown value, this doesn't look good to me. I honestly am not convinced you even get 5x of spades or another small pair to fold in this game.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:44 PM

of course not, you would bet the turn.

but he hasn't seen any boat hands from you so he can't know this.

I actually think your fold equity is pretty high here. its a classic post oak bluff that works if you haven't been lagging it up. if villain takes a minute to think through it though, I think you're in trouble.