Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Bad beat nightmare...

I was playing in a NLH cash game this past wednesday when the following happened:

The blinds were .25/.50, and four people limped in. I had KhQh on the big blind and checked.

The flop came 4h 5h 6h

The small blind checked to me, and I bet one dollar. The person two seats to my left (the short stack) called, and the person to her left folded. Back to the small blind, also the chip leader, who made it $5 to go.

Now, at this point, I had determined two things:

1. The short stack had the Ace of hearts, but had not yet made her flush.

2. The small blind had his flush, but I had him beat.

With this in mind, I went all in for about 31 dollars. The short stack called, and the small blind went into the tank. After what seemed like an eternity, he called, which had been my plan all along. Sure enough, the short stack turned up the Ace of hearts and a 2c.

Then the small blind turned over the 8h 10h. I got excited, since another heart coming would still mean that I would be paid off by the big stack, regardless of what I lost to the short stack, who couldn't even match the five dollar raise.

At this point, only one card could win it for the small blind, and off it came: The 7h, on the turn.

Funny thing is, I was the first one who noticed it. Now, I'm not a whiz when it comes to the math of the game, but I'm guessing that the odds of him hitting an inside straight flush draw were fairly slim.

Although I was in shock, I came to the conclusion that I had played the hand correctly. Can anyone out there confirm or deny this for me?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Bad beat nightmare...

from

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/

Holdem Hi: 903 enumerated boards containing 6h 5h 4h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kh Qh 703 77.85 199 22.04 1 0.11 0.779
2c Ah 157 17.39 745 82.50 1 0.11 0.174
Th 8h 42 4.65 860 95.24 1 0.11 0.047

You played perfectly made a great read, and, got all your money in when you were over 3-1 favored to win, and lost to a 20-1 dog.

-X
Old 09-03-2004, 02:44 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes a bad beat can make you feel like a real moron.

Also, that website is a great resource. I'm definitely going to use as a study guide.

Hal
Old 09-03-2004, 06:43 PM

I have a hard time with when to limp and when to raise in NL. Wouldn't you want to raise it here with KQs? Or is your position more important in NL?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:16 PM

allow me to be the first to go completely overboard with this one:
position is the ONLY thing in NL. without position in NL, limp with KQs, with position raise it for sure. shorthanded >5 players. shorthanded <5 players, raise it always.

EDIT: oh yeah, and catching a one outer with two cards to come isnt so bad, maybe 4% or so. two perfects in a row is a nightmare, this is a standard, run of the mill bad beat.

just my style
fim