Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Playing poker to finance my life. A piece of advice needed :)

Starting on lowlimits like .5/1 is a good idea, use bonuses to build a bankroll.

I think most people can be winning players at .5/1 to 2/4 fixed limit however it takes dedication, read books.
Try moving up limits when youve been doing good for a while, if you do bad at higher limits go back down and try later. And read the limit forums.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2005, 02:24 AM

First of all thanks for all your posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
[ QUOTE ]
Have you played online before?
If you haven't then I would recommend that you just play enough to actually prove that you are a winning player before you start counting on it for your income.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the next step i'll go for. Actually i'm still involved in learning more basics from the books, hopefully minimizing the losses on my first weeks.
I wanted to gain a clear insight in my possible future and all the problems awaiting me there. Maybe I'll never be a winning player, but other people have done it and with a lot of work and time invested, i could get there, too.
Of course i'm not expecting to earn money withhin a few weeks on very small stakes. On the other hand it should improve to the first steady winnings at e.g. 2/4 in about six months.
It's a long term plan and that's the way it should be treated.

Thx for all your help. Many good posts.

Greets, Tony [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 AM

Tony, you naturally good at math/science? If so, it shouldn't be able to figure out how to beat the lower limits of online poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 PM

Do you win online?,,,,, that'll make the decision a lot easier [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Homer's Building a Bankroll
Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person who thinks this guy is an idiot for posting this. He has never played online before and seems to know only the basics of holdem. I find it absurd that his posts reads playing poker to finance my life and he is talking about playin .5/1 limit. Tony what makes you think that you can live off this. Who knows if you will ever become a player that can beat 3/6. My advice is to not think you can make a living playing cards, becuase you probably can't. You watch to much WPT on TV Tony. You have no talent and no touch on reality. I hope your health gets better physically and mentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

on a bit of a downswing, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-25-2005, 06:56 PM

I don't disagree too much with LIRob's assessment.

Not only has this guy NEVER played online-poker....he possibly isn't aware of how much money one can expect to make at a given limit.

Also - OP has an attitude of 'what could be beter?? sitting on a computer playing poker all day. that's the life!!'

Well, the fact is that many people around here really tire of online-poker even IF they are winning players.

So - we have a double-whammy here:

We don't know if OP is a winning player in the first place.
And he doesn't even know if he's going to enjoy it that much to begin with because he has NEVER done it.

I am not about to tell someone that this is a 'decent idea' with these two strikes against him.

If he's played for a month and has 20k hands or so under his belt and THEN says the following then I think he woulkd have a shot:
he's liking it. he can see where burn-out would be a factor but thinks he can do it long-term anyway. he's working on his game to become a better player. he is interested in exploring the possibility of EVENTUALLY doing this full-time for income.

right now we have:
I like poker. I can beat my buddies in our home-games. My friend suggested I play online-poker for a living. I've never played online before so I guess I'll just start at the .5/1 level and make my living there (even though I don't know how much money one can expect to make there).
I don't know yet if I will actually enjoy online poker, if I'm even a winning player, or if I'll be decent at multi-tabling.

Sorry to be harsh. OP seems like a nice guy. But I think a reality-check is in order here.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 PM

I agree with all this, but we all started somewhere.

And it ain't rocket science.

Given the amount of bonuses available, it is possible to start at micro levels and make enough to pay most bills.

And then move up! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]