Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 01:41 AM

Default Absinthe

Anyone have any experience with absinthe? Until just a couple hours ago I wasn’t even aware that the stuff still existed, much less that it is available through the magic of the internet.

I’m particularly curious about the “clarity of thought” effect. Anyone?

La Fee Verte does not sell absinthe but has a lot of very interesting information. Read their FAQ under the "Reference" menu.

Old 01-19-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Absinthe

Big article in FHM, Stuff, or Maxim mag a few months back. Sounded pretty cool, as long as you get the right brand.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:31 AM

No experience. Nor would I try the real thing. Is the stuff you got the real wormwood stuff or the modern not as dangerous stuff?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:50 AM

Here is another link with some good and interesting information Absinthe

According to an older edition of the Encyclopedia Britannia a variety of herbs may be used in its manufacture besides wormwood including: angelica root, sweet flag, dittany leaves, star-anise fruit, fennel, and hyssop.

In addition it adds this little pithy sentence at the end:

[ QUOTE ]
The wormwood acts powerfully upon the nerve centers, and causes delirium and hallucinations, followed in some cases by idiocy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will leave it to you to sort out the truth of the matter. [Does psychotropic mean anything to you]

Some artist and writers may have used it for inspiration, or so common folklore tells us.

No doubt the authorities will get wind of this upsurge in popularity and try to ban it more effectively. Best try it before that happens. Enjoy.

-Zeno
Old 01-19-2004, 06:08 AM

Degas provided the appropriate warning: The Absinthe Drinkers
Old 01-19-2004, 04:10 PM

It appears that not many of those who responded actually read the Absinthe FAQ . I’ve spent several hours researching this and will just mention a few quick points. It appears that much of what we think we know (me included, until I began this little project) about absinthe is based on questionable antiquated medical “research” and on propaganda spread nearly a century ago by moralists, competitors of absinthe producers, and people with other agendas.

A few facts:

Many of the old time producers of cheap absinthe used highly toxic additives like copper sulfate and antimony trichloride. They were also known to use lead containers during the processing. Some modern research indicates that the added toxins and impurities in poorly manufactured absinthe was a more likely cause of problems than the wormwood. Absinthe is typically 68% alcohol (136 proof), so alcoholism / alcohol poisoning was likely a big factor.

Vermouth, chartreuse, and benedictine all contain thujone, the active ingredient in wormwood. Vermouth, which is made using the flower heads from wormwood, takes its name from the German wermuth ("wormwood").

Several commonly used herbs also contain thujone; sage (Salvia officinalis) in particular is much higher in thujone content than wormwood.

Wormwood oil is used in Absorbine Jr. and Vicks Vaporub.

So the stuff may not be so treacherous and deadly as we were lead to believe. The bad rap for absinthe may be similar to the outrageous claims made by the anti-marijuana folks – and yes, I assume there are some you here who believe what you’ve been told about that ... ahh well.

Anyway, my point, if there is one, is that my research and my “common knowledge” are not jiving here, and I was simply hoping to get some input from anyone with first-hand knowledge. Looks like I’m once again left to my own devices for researching this matter. If my posts should start going (more?) off the wall, please do let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt the authorities will get wind of this upsurge in popularity and try to ban it more effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the authorities are quite aware of this upsurge as there are many new brands coming on the market. The trend seems to be in the opposite direction than you expect, since absinthe is now legal throughout the EU. Note that it was never banned by all countries, and those that did once ban it are now again permitting it.

The legal status of absinthe in the “land of the free” is still questionable. Manufacture is illegal but possession is “apparently” OK, and wormwood extract can be openly and legally purchased, perhaps adding to the evidence that absinthe has gotten a bad rap.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:08 PM

You can also grow your own. I've found wormwood plants for sale at several nurseries in California.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Makes the heart grow fonder... *nm*

Old 01-19-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Yes, and romance...

are Italian insects.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Absinthe/Tommy Chong

The arabs invented distilling. The first hard liquor was Arak. As distilling spread variations of Arak appeared they include Absinthe Ouzo Pastis amoung others. They all have a licorice taste which I personally hate. Absinthe has worm wood extract which is linked to some sort of narcotic effect. Back when the entire western world was mostly drunk out of it's mind, and dropping dead because of it, Absinthe was made illegal due it's popularity and the wormwood 'poison' (early reefer madness). Most places have not updated their laws to allow Absinthe. I do not suggest you pay big bucks for a bottle as it is not that much different from the other licorice drinks (which as I said I hate so don't listen to me). I would also shy away from home brews as there is likely some truth to wormwood containing poison. All this class of liquor turns cloudy when water is added (louche effect) which some people think is cool.

http://www.liquors.me.uk/en-gb/dept_192.html

On the subjest of refer madness did you know Tommy Chong is in jail:

http://www.freetommychong.org