Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Was Steve Martin ever funny?

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Old 12-06-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was about 9 years old I thought he was hilarious in "The Man with Two Brains"...then I tried watching it again a couple of years ago and couldn't make it all the way through without turning it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding?

Man With Two Brains is awesome! Ridiculously funny.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 AM

besides all the movie stuff here, before The Jerk, Steve Martin was probably the biggest stand-up in the country. He had two number one albums and his sold out huge arenas all over the place.

He wqas - and still is - very funny and talented.

I think you may be mistaking his "for the money" roles like Bringing Down the House and "Cheaper by the Dozen that he does in order to do the projects he really loves - ala "Shopgirl."
Old 12-06-2005, 02:36 AM

Yeah, he does more ordinary roles now that don't really showcase his full talent.

But he was without peer in his stand-up days, except for Richard Pryor.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:21 AM

Not mentioned so far is his small role in Grand Canyon. Interesting movie, he's pretty good in that one.

Another small role is in the original Muppet Movie where he plays a very snooty waiter to Kermit and Miss Piggy. His line, "Would you like to smell ze bottle cap?" has been permanently burned in my brain.

Someone mentioned "The Lonely Guy". Uneven movie, but the Table For One scene is a classic.

Best movie he has been in in the last 10 years was "The Spanish Prisoner". Not a comedy, but an excellent film. Good luck figuring it out.

Now there's a double feature for some of you - "The Spanish Prisoner" and "House of Games" in one night, both by David Mamet. You'll be up a long time figuring those two out.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 AM

Yeah, he was good in Grand Canyon.

I thought The Lonely Guy was very good and liked it a lot. Some of that really hit close to home for anyone who's ever felt even a little lonely, and mixed it with funniness in a cool way.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid had plenty of slow points, but it was funny in some places too. My favorite part was actually when Steve gets the girl and his sidekick, who got jack, is ecstatic for him like only the lamest sidekick could ever be, saying, "What a guy!" with a huge grin. That dude cracked me up big time there.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM

I think he's fallen off the funny wagon, a la Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd. But yes, Steve Martin used to be funny IMO....esp. on SNL.

ScottieK
Old 12-06-2005, 11:57 AM

Nope, never really funny. Okay maybe, but nothing special. Funny only in comparison to the manure he provides today.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny only in comparison to the manure he provides today.

[/ QUOTE ]

he does a completely different genre of film today. he does family comedy mostly.

the manure that passes as comedy that OOT and the rest of the general population eats up amazes me. adam sandler? chris farley? there were threads a few days ago where people were debating their best movies? they all sucked.

discussing which of their movies is best is like trying to decide what is the best item off the taco bell menu. you lose no matter what you chose.

bwana
Old 12-06-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to find some really funny stuff, you gotta listen to his comedy albums. Try and download them off bearshare or whatever...

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately.

Grandpa bought a rubber.....