Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Two floor decisions

Two odd situations from the Bellagio 30/60. First one, CO is in the 1 seat, button in the 2 seat. CO is grabbing his first card when it comes to protect it, and sort of covering it with his hand. When the dealer is dealing everyone's second card, he accidentally skips CO and deals a second card to the button, who immediately picks it up and looks at it. CO had no time to object. He does a second later, but by then 3 or 4 players have acted. Floor rules that both CO and button's hands are dead. Sucks for CO, who didn't really do anything wrong, but I don't know what other reasonable ruling is possible.

Second hand's a bit more complex. A hand goes by where seat 9 is the SB, seat 10 is a new player who wants to post between the SB and button, so seat 1 is the BB. No problem there. Next hand, seat 1 leaves instead of taking his SB. Seat 10, unaware of this, posts. So seat 9 is the button, 10 is posting a BB, 1 is empty, and 2 is taking his BB. Hand plays out without anyone noticing.

Next hand, dealer tries to move the button to the empty seat 1. Seat 9 goes ballistic claiming he should have the button again, since seat 10 can't post between and then get the button. 3 different floormen come over and try to resolve the situation, but none of them seem to be able to cope with the fact that the previous hand shouldn't have happened. Seems to me that the most reasonable solution is to have a dead button at seat 1, with seats 2 and 3 taking the blinds, but one of the floormen claims that the Bellagio doesn't play with dead buttons. (If that's the case, they've got some dealer training to do). Seat 10 ends up getting the button next hand by default as none of the floormen really make a decision and end up telling the dealer to just deal the next hand, and that's where the button had ended up during the prolonged discussion previous. Obviously, I'm not exactly enthralled by the competence of the Bellagio's staff, but any suggestions as to what the correct ruling is? My feeling is that seat 10 shouldn't be penalized for the dealer's mistake and that seat 9 is a damned annoying local nit, but that's probably because he spent the next half hour complaining about how he knew the rules and the floor didn't. In all fairness, he's probably half right, but mostly he seemed to be trying really hard to get the button twice.