Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Pushed off marginal hand at the river.

Pacific poker $15/$30 (9 handed).
Table was playing like a small stakes table, with three-five to the flop on average; therefore I think this is the right forum.

Reads: UTG is ABC loose passive, playing every hand in unraised pots. The only time I remember him/her raising was with KK. UTG+1 is laggy, also playing almost every hand. Button is solid, if a bit weak-tight.

Hero is SB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop:
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, folded to button, who raises, Hero (SB) calls, BB folds, both limpers call.

Flop (4.5 BB):
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, button bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, button calls.

Turn (8.5 BB):
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, all call.

River (12.5 BB):
8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, button folds, Hero calls, UTG raises, UTG+1 reraises, Hero folds, UTG caps, UTG+1 calls.

Final pot (21.5 BB).

Results (in white):
<font color="white"> UTG shows K clubs 8 hearts (a pair of eights).
UTG+1 mucks.
</font>

I'm most concerned about the river but comments on all streets appreciated ("fold preflop..." I know I know). How should I have played the river? I didn't want to bet out because I couldn't fold to UTG+1's raise. Having checked though, I think I needed to raise UTG+1's bet because UTG was still to act after me, right?

I have another question about this hand, but you need to read the result first.

Should I suspect UTG and UTG+1 of collusion here? UTG hadn't tried anything tricky prior to this. About half the previous hands ended up between UTG and UTG+1 and one would often fold to the other's bet. But then they were the ones playing every hand, so it's not surprising they were often left at the end.

If I give them the benefit of the doubt, then UTG saw the opportunity to push me off a pair of nines or tens and did so. But why the cap after I fold? UTG has been passive up to now, remember. The only reason I can think of is so that UTG+1 doesn't have to show his cards. But then I might just be completely underestimating UTG. What do you think?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Pushed off marginal hand at the river.

check the hand history and find out what he mucked
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 AM

It's Pacific. No can do.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:11 AM

This river is ridiculous, seems like collusion but you can never know for sure...sometimes irrational things happen and there's really no explanation.