Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Default shortstacked at the end of a tourney

I need help towards the end of a a tournament when I am low on chips. When I have a a medium or good stack, I am playing aggresively and stealing blinds. When I get low on chips I feel like I start to panic and tighten up way too much.

Here is an example. 25 people left in a tournament, average stack size at my table is between 8k-11k and the blinds are 300-600. I have about 3000 chips and am shortstacked at my 10 person table. At this point am I going all-in with the next best hand I get? What hands am I looking to play since I will soon be blinded away? How does position factor into this? Should I be thinking of stealing the blinds with a bet of maybe 1500 or just get all the chips in there?

thank you
Old 01-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: shortstacked at the end of a tourney

common theory suggests that if you have less than 10x the BB then you push or fold. if you want to play the hand, push.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: shortstacked at the end of a tourney

You say there are 25 left in the tourney. How many get paid? If you're already in the money, where is the next mini-bubble (i.e., where the pay off goes up).

Blinds are 300-600. Any ante? How many in the tourney are below you? Are any in danger of immediately folding? What seat are you in, have you just posted the blinds, or will you be posting soon. When do the blinds next go up?

All of these are factors.

This being said, 3000 chips, I'm looking to double up, but not yet in panic mode. I'll certainly loosen up on my betting standards somewhat but am not desparate.

I will say, that absent something unusual, my next non-blind bet will be all-in.

Re Stealing -- this is tough. I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. Do you steal by raising hands you would have normally called? Do you lower your standards to steal? Will you try to steal on a stone cold bluff?

Overall, getting the 900 chips for the blind is nice, but doesn't affect your situation all that much. Going from 3000 to 1500 chips really hurts you since doubling up once doesn't help that much. (double up at 3000 and you're a little below average, but competitive -- double up at 1500, and you're still gasping for breath).

So, for me, it's push or fold in most cases, even if stealing.