Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Top 6 in the NFL?

[ QUOTE ]
If you take out the San Diego game they are giving up 15 PPG and 310 YPG. I agree that they are not a top 6 team, and barely a top 10 team, but their defense is definetly above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

My original quote that started this off is that they played three good defensive games and one was against the 49ers with Cody Pickett at QB and the other was against an anemic Vikings offense. So if you want to take out SD too which at this point is 40% of their games, but even without their "one bad game" they still are giving up 397 YPG and 18 PPG.

I would accept they are an average streaky defense.

They still allowed almost 300 yards passing to Mike McMahon this past week and over 400 yards to the Eagles without their two best offensive weapons. So I'm not sold on they figured it out in the second half of the season.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what more than 20 points per game says about their ST, but I don't know what other gage to go on.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about DVOA? Through week 10 it had them as the 10th best defense in the league. Not quite updated yet, though. Grr.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.php
Old 11-22-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Explosive offense? Compared to who the Bears? They have run the ball well against teams that don't play the run well and they have been able to go deep on teams that have secondary problems. With no left tackle and a statue at QB they are going to have lots of problems with teams that can rush the passer. I think Carolina, Seattle and the Bears are better than they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what explosive means? It means explosive big play type recievers like Terry Glenn. You know Bledsoe the guy everyone keeps hating on has the highest qb rating in the nfc right? It means he has a high yards per pass, it means a lot of things, but it means he makes it "explosive". The cowboys run most of their formations to protect Bledsoe, and when hes protected hes very good.

Also, if the playoffs somehow go through chicago then yes they have a very good chance to make it cause thats where they hammer down. But they CANT SCORE, the ravens of old at least had an experienced QB and the bulldozer in the backfield. When they go on the road to Seattle or Dallas or even the Giants or Panthers they will be scored on, and they will need to respond and I dont think they can. At home they can keep those teams low, but on the road it will be much tougher, and like I said with the schedule I dont think they get any more then 1 home game in the playoffs.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:23 PM

Speaking of:

[ QUOTE ]
The Achilles' heel of this team is an inability to get the defense off the field on third downs. DVOA ranks the Giants' defense fifth on first downs, fourth on second downs and 29th on third downs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third down problems tend to be variance moer than anything.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Besides those three games they are allowing 410 yards a game. They are allowing 22 PPG in those 7 games as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you take out the San Diego game they are giving up 15 PPG and 310 YPG. I agree that they are not a top 6 team, and barely a top 10 team, but their defense is definetly above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also keep in mind that the Giants are scoring a lot and teams need to pass to catch up. It would be interesting to see how the stats are when the games are close and the Giants not up by 10-20 points.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about DVOA? Through week 10 it had them as the 10th best defense in the league. Not quite updated yet, though. Grr.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure they will fall a bit after this past week's preformance and after Week 7 (Week 8, 9, 10 were the good games I was talking about) they were 17th.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also keep in mind that the Giants are scoring a lot and teams need to pass to catch up. It would be interesting to see how the stats are when the games are close and the Giants not up by 10-20 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really what my point is. Their rush defense hasn't really been tested because the offense has scored a lot of points and teams have had to come from behind and pass alot. This does acount for a lot of the yards that have been put up on them.

The fact remains though that they are still giving up those yards. The Colts have scored a lot of points and they are only allowing 289 ypg and 15 ppg. As a matter of fact even the Chargers are giving up less yards per game.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what explosive means? It means explosive big play type recievers like Terry Glenn. You know Bledsoe the guy everyone keeps hating on has the highest qb rating in the nfc right? It means he has a high yards per pass, it means a lot of things, but it means he makes it "explosive". The cowboys run most of their formations to protect Bledsoe, and when hes protected hes very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright I will say that at times they can be explosive. However, teams like Carolina and the Bears will cause absolute havoc for the Cowboys offense. Teams like Seattle and Detroit proved that slowing down the Cowboys passing attack takes pressure that you can put on without having to blitz safeties. And I know you have only seen Bledsoe this year, but the key is he makes good decisions when he has time. Without time he becomes a turnover machine. And when good defensive teams get turnovers their offense has short fields and can score without being the Colts. Which is really why I think a Bears or Panthers match-up is really bad for the Cowboys.

By the way I still rank Seattle and Carolina ahead of the Bears just to show I'm not doing this as a homer.

If I wanted to put on my homer hat I could point out the 1985 Bears didn't need to worry about scoring too many points in the playoffs because they shut out the teams they played in the NFC playoffs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure they will fall a bit after this past week's preformance and after Week 7 (Week 8, 9, 10 were the good games I was talking about) they were 17th.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they move up to 7th.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure they will fall a bit after this past week's preformance [ QUOTE ]
No, they move up to 7th.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, should have noticed the three teams ahead of them were IND, Cin and Miami who had even worse weeks, plus the teams behind them (PHI,TB, WAS) had bad defensive weeks as well.

I guess we'll all see how this works out.