Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Top 6 in the NFL?

splitting up the NFC and AFC is the only way to do this

AFC-

1. Colts
2. Broncos
3. Chargers- only team that has a chance to beat Indy in Indy in the playoffs in my opinion cause they can drop 40 if they need to, control the ball with LT, and get after you on D.
4. Steelers- MUST be healthy, gotta put them ahead of the bengals tho since they manhandled them
5. Bengals
6. Jacksonville- plays to their competition every week
7. Patriots- They will be in the playoffs by default, but not sure if they can beat any of the above. Maybe Jacksonville since they like losing to teams like the rams without their weapons on offense. Maybe the Steelers since Steeltown somehow let them beat them before, but season over otherwise.

NFC-

1. Seahawks- on top by default, they should have lost to Dallas, still though best record have to have them here til they lose
2. Dallas- 2nd best defense in the conference, and an explosive offense, if Juilius finally gets going like he did last year I dont think anyone in the NFC can beat them
3. NYG
4. Panthers- everyone entitled to a bad game once in a while
5. Bears- I hate not giving this team some love after the big win but I think they need home cooking to go far and with the schedule I dont think they get a 1st round bye.
6. Buccs
Old 11-21-2005, 09:54 PM

Meh, I don't understand what the point of these lists are if you're just going to basically go strictly by record. Do people really think Jacksonville & Seattle are top 5 teams? I prefer the Peter King "who I think would win if these teams were to play on a neutral field in my worthless opinion" criteria.

1 - Colts
2 - Steelers
3 - Broncos
4 - Chargers
5 - Panthers
6 - Cowboys
Old 11-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I based my answer largely on DVOA and Sagarin predictor. Those seem like good methods to me.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:02 PM

AFC:

Indy - Obvious
Jacksonville - Mercurial team, but very good. VERY tough schedule so far. Should coast the next weeks.
Cincinnatti - Exceptional ffense, pass defense that gets exposed only by Jesus; run defense that can't stop Mary Magdalene.
San Diego - Speaking of tough schedules, holy hell. Very good offense all around. Eric Parker's underrated; putting up nice numbers thanks to Gates+Brees+LT.
Pittsburgh - A tale of two teams. If Roeth shows up this team is money and one of the few teams that can beat Indy.
Denver - Yeah, they're 8-2 now, but 4 of their last 6 games are on the road, including DAL, KC, and SD. I see 11-5 in their future.

NFC:

Seattle - Underwhelming game vs SF, and when I say underwhelming, I mean they played like utter [censored]. Still the class of the NFC and they're a top 5 team.
Chicago - Dominating win over Carolina, that home field advantage is a bitch.
New York - Decent game by Eli this week, but he looks like crap if Plaxico's double covered. I have my worries about them.
WAS - Started out bad but won, then started playing very well.
DAL - Solid team without a left tackle.
CAR - Took a hit with their loss to CHI. Fine team, around 12th best in the league... very good D, below average O.

All together:

1. IND
2. JAX
3. SEA
4. CIN
5. SD
6. DEN

If Ben's healthy, stick PIT at 2 and slide it down.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't understand what the point of these lists are if you're just going to basically go strictly by record.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, I actually think the cowboys are the best in the NFC and San Diego is 2nd in the AFC, and should have put that in my list.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I don't understand what the point of these lists are if you're just going to basically go strictly by record. Do people really think Jacksonville & Seattle are top 5 teams? I prefer the Peter King "who I think would win if these teams were to play on a neutral field in my worthless opinion" criteria.

1 - Colts
2 - Steelers
3 - Broncos
4 - Chargers
5 - Panthers
6 - Cowboys

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to see what others thought. And I didn't base my list on records.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 AM

1. Bears
2-6 some punks who are gonna lose to the Bears.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Dallas- 2nd best defense in the conference, and an explosive offense, if Juilius finally gets going like he did last year I dont think anyone in the NFC can beat them

[/ QUOTE ]
Explosive offense? Compared to who the Bears? They have run the ball well against teams that don't play the run well and they have been able to go deep on teams that have secondary problems. With no left tackle and a statue at QB they are going to have lots of problems with teams that can rush the passer. I think Carolina, Seattle and the Bears are better than they are.

[ QUOTE ]
3. NYG

[/ QUOTE ] I don't understand the love for the Giants. Has anyone watched their games? Eli while putting up decent numbers has been inacurate and the defense has been susspect except for two good games. Plus, this is the team that's only road win is against the 49ers. Sure it's nice the NFL gave them 9 home games, but they still have a difficult schedule and will not have a first round bye. Which means they will be lucky to have any home games.

FWIW my list looks like this

1. Colts
2. Broncos
3. Chargers
4. Bengals
5. Steelers
6. Seahawks
7. Jags
8. Panthers
9. Bears
10. Cowboys
Old 11-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Top 10 in the NFL?

[ QUOTE ]
The Best 7 teams in the league
1. Indy
2. Denver
3. Jacksonville
4. Cincinatti
5. San Diego
6. Seattle
7. Pittsburgh
Others:
8. NYG
9. Dallas
10. (I have no clue)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. Anyone who would put the Cowboys or Giants above the Panthers or Bears is on crack.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Top 10 in the NFL?

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap. Anyone who would put the Cowboys or Giants above the Panthers or Bears is on crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't get it. Dominating defense beats above average offense.

I'm being realistic when I say I don't expect the Bears to get much farther than the first round of playoffs, however, if the D plays the way they have so far, we're looking at another Ravens-style team, offense lets the defense win the game for them.